• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Masking tape...

mudmedia

What brand of masking tape do you guys prefer. Sometimes it is the little 2 dollar items that really move me when I am trying to get stuff done. Almost all my 2" rolls of 3M masking tape do not pull evenly they almost always tear a few inches at a time. Last week I tossed about 5 new rolls because none of them would pull off the roll correctly.

Any different brand recommendations. Maybe I am using a to high of adhesive 3M mask tape?

In general this is a pretty stuipid question I know but I would not mind something as simple as masking tape to be reliable when I go to use it. It is like having a torch and it not shoot a flame when you hit the trigger.

kanini

You're absolutely right about that the tape should perform when needed, I used to use a cheap unknown brand of masking tape that one roll didn't stick at all, the other did stick but was a pain to remove, the third roll you'd get only small chips from it etc. I gave up and now I use Würth masking tape, it costs a bit more but it sure pays off in the way of saving your nerves... Don't know if you have access to their products in your area but looked at the Würth USA homepage and they carry masking tape. Hmm, I thought 3M would work, never used it myself but it's not like it's the cheapest of tapes...?

Blaney

I've tried several different brands. I like Sherwin Williams the best. I buy it by the case and get a discount.

Marlene

I like the 3M .75" or 1" with the yellow core. nothing messes up an install faster than trying to get masking tape off the roll and having it rip

visual800

Gotta go with green tape also! 3/4" to hold up patterns and 1/4" for leverling stuff...and the absolute BEST duct tape is gorilla tape!

DizzyMarkus

Gorilla Tape is the best -- flopped over on my thumbnail and as quick as I could grab it -- it almost took my nail off hehe Good stuff !

Markus

Jillbeans

I prefer the green stuff as well.
I have at least 3 almost-full rolls of the cheapo "tear a tiny strip and rip" Tartan brand laying around.
:(
Love....Jill

OldPaint

i worked at NAPA for 15 years, outside sales and body shops. 3M or the MARTIN-SENOUR(same as SHERWIN-WILLIAMS)is the best. i still buy a 1/2 sleeve(12 rolls in a sleeve)trick is to keep those your not using in a dark cool cabinet, in the sleeve they come in or a plastic bag.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Gotta go with green tape also! 3/4" to hold up patterns and 1/4" for leverling stuff...and the absolute BEST duct tape is gorilla tape!

I see 3M has a version of this out now (assuming the Gorilla was out first - maybe I just never noticed it) as well (Scotch Tough Duct Tape), although I haven't tried it. I use Gorilla tape for patterns on masonry and hanging patterns outside when it's windy. The stuff is great.

mudmedia

Ya I have been using 3M but it definitely isn't the green stuff. I will buy a case and give it a shot. Thanks for the input!

CanuckSigns

the building we moved into had about 300 rolls of Colonial brand masking tape upstairs left over from when they made furniture, it's great stuff, and it's free!

OldPaint

WATSON, masking tape is a lot like vinyl. only so many manufacture it........and then the NAME IS APPLIED.............by a lot of others.

Z SIGNS

3m has many different grades of masking tape.We use the 200 series.It's a lot cheaper then the brand than you will get from your sign supplier.It's about half the price fellers charges.It works fine for hinging etc.but you got to take care of it.Keep it out of the heat and sunlight and like old paint said store it in a plastic bag in a cabinet.We order from these folks
http://www.uline.com/Grp_444/3M-Masking-Tape?pricode=WF359&gclid=CN-SptrN0bUCFWpnOgodJTkAfQ

Dennis422

Green no name tape from Marc's stores. (We have them here in Ohio)
$.99 for an Inch and $1.99 for a 2" rolls. Awesome. No splitting and easy to remove with no residue.
I bought a bunch :)