• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Masking tape

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What's the difference between the regular beige masking tape, the blue painters tape and the green? Which is better for using on signs and vinyl application?

d fleming

Regular masking tape leaves glue behind that you have to clean up and can stick way too well to things way too often. I use blue painters tape for vinyl graphic app and also for taping out my screens for screen printing. It does not leave me wasting lacquer thinner ($$) or time ($$$$) to get tape residue off of fabric.

Billct2

We buy masking tape from an auto paint store which doesn't leave any residue. We use blue or green for installing in interior walls or any surface we are concerned about.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We use Indasa yellow automotive tape, it is a bit cheaper than 3M and performs well. It is tacky like regular beige tape, removes cleanly like blue tape and can withstand heat and getting a little rain on it without making a mess.

sardocs

I like 3m blue - the green is harder to tear off the roll one handed when you are applying.

CanuckSigns

We buy something called "washi tape" from a tape distributor here, it is sold to body shops, sticks really well and doesn't leave any residue. Only costs $2.99 a roll as well.

visual800

I use the beige and the blue. I use the blue on walls to line up stuff or hold patterns to walls. I use the beige to line up stuff on substrates cause its cheaper than the blue and since I take it off quickly theres no residue. Auto masking tape I dont use theres no sense in it

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks for the info.. I tried some blue tape and it is nicer. Smells better too.

How does the yellow differ from the blue?

ikarasu

For painting it makes a huge difference. The tapes are rated to stay on the wall longer... Some can stand a few hours only, some a day . Some two, etc.

For doing installs we use Biege. The initial high tac is nice, and it's not staying on the wall long enough to bond and become a problem... So green / blue tape isn't needed.

For vehicles... We use green or blue to tape off plastics / handles to give it a low tack surface so vinyl won't stick to it and ruin the vinyl.

For painting... All I use is frog tape. It's way more expensive, but it's more of a rubber... You won't get any edge spray with it, it leaves nice crisp lines... The few bucks extra is worth it!

Notarealsignguy

Thanks for the info.. I tried some blue tape and it is nicer. Smells better too.

How does the yellow differ from the blue?
It's cheaper and has more tack. It can also be removed after it sits in the sun. Blue tape is what your wife uses when she paints the mailbox. They call it "painters" tape but have you honestly ever seen a professional painter using it?

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We use yellow tesa tape - seems to be great to reposition a decal while we're installing, but doesn't leave any residue. Really like it. Pretty sure it's from Grimco, actually.

SameDay Signs

I use standard ACE hardware premium their brand tape 1,5" only $4.69 roll and less in quantity here and leaves nothing behind and sticks super well - blue painters tape is nice but i see no difference with the quality of the ace brand then again you have to buy the better not the $3 one

Stacey K

I like making signs
I typically used beige masking tape but the last "case" I bought kept tearing, it drove me insane. I bought the blue painters tape now. It's OK but doesn't seem to stick as good as the beige. I'll probably stick with blue.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I typically used beige masking tape but the last "case" I bought kept tearing, it drove me insane. I bought the blue painters tape now. It's OK but doesn't seem to stick as good as the beige. I'll probably stick with blue.

Ugh, yea it seems the last few rolls I've had have been like that... so frustrating.

Notarealsignguy

Ugh, yea it seems the last few rolls I've had have been like that... so frustrating.
You have to buy a good brand in beige or blue. The generic blue tape is about worthless except for painting your house. If you're gonna use either, get the Scotch brand.
You can't let that cheap beige tape get hot either.