• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Masshole says hello!

fletcher

Hello! I'm part of a small business in eastern MA lookin to get into signs/banners etc. With any luck we'll soon have a Mutoh vj 64 and comparable cutter to go with! I know this isn't really the place for questions but ima try anyway. How necessary is a laminator in the early stages? Outdoor banners/signs will be some of our first projects.. not sure if they'll be up all year though.. what do you guys think?

Fletcher

SignosaurusRex

Welcome Aboard Masshole! We're not in the large format (print) game here in our shop so I'll leave the comments to the real pros. I guess time will tell if you really are a "Masshole"! LOL.. Sorry, I could not resist....:Welcome: to:signs101:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Get the laminator!... along with you printer. A Package deal will save you some $$$. You won't need it for banners but you will for other jobs. :thumb:

fletcher

haha signr

Haha signr a-holes aplenty round here. I was just up in Prentiss/Lincoln area.. so pretty up there.. but a little scary too.. funny when the local(only) gas station sells soda in isle one and animal pelts in isle 2. :Big Laugh

threeputt

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest. Yeah, plain flannel shirts and double bit axes! At least that's what some people conjure up when they thing of our area.

Seriously, though, you need a laminator. Don't get a heated one. Just the cold variety. It's great. It makes the print so much thicker it's ten times easier to handle. We throw 4x8's on substrate every day. Wham! Just did a 4'x10 and 3'x15. One piece. Wham! And of course, the lam improves the life of the print majorly.

Right now I'm running several 3'x4's so the guys can throw them on Dibond in the morning. The 54 will make you nice money if you can keep the jobs coming to "feed" it. Ka-ching!

Signguyno1

:Welcome: Welcome Fletch, Masshole?
From another Massachusetts signguy.

Or should I say from the land of same sex marriages and liberal democrats! Is there any difference between the two?

Ken

HI Fletch. welcome from BC.
Lamination is necessary on a vehicle application. Smaller jobs may be hand laminated. A stationary sign should be OK without a lam. The UV lam will likely give you an extra year of service on a printed sign , but I would not warrantee that.
Cheers!
Ken

threeputt

Ken, only a year? Is that statistical, or from your experience? We've only been printing 18 months so we can't know about sign life from personal experience yet. But I've sort of been saying the laminate adds 2-3 years.

Not so?