Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

match requested for an ugly font

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by iSign, Nov 23, 2007.

1. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    This one's pretty bad in my book, but has anyone seen anything like it?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Wow! . . . Where the hell did that come from ?

3. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Rep, I know you have that one....I've seen it in your library! Come'on, cough up the name! ...lol...LOL...LOL

4. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    It came from an autocad program.
    They sent me the font but I can't use that file format. It's called archisel.stx

5. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    thats one fugly font lol
    looks like used for engraving
    bet it looks cool then

font fugly

6. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    That is so ug-leee that I would fire that customer!

:rolleyes:

7. vid

vid Very Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    California
    Match for that font?...

Dude, you need a propane torch for that font!

I'd think Craig hit it with the engraved idea. Looks as though it has some characteristics of a technical or tekton, though. Try giving it some fatty outlines on the strokes to see if it becomes more recognizable.

Good Luck

8. Tiki

Tiki Font Sage

May 28, 2003
    Orange County Ca
    There's a font with a solid file called Architext? if that helps any:Big Laugh

Attached Files:

9. Idea Design

Idea Design Very Active Member

Jul 12, 2005
    I think Tiki's got it.

The reason that font file appears that way is AutoCAD uses color dependant plot styles, by that I mean that a specific color is tied to a specific linewieght when you send a line plot out.

That font would fill itself out based on the lineweight at which it was printed inside cad.

10. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    Tiki, thank you for that. I think that has potential to satisfy the client, improve the layout at least a little, and allow me some other production methods besides digital printing.

Si,
    agreed... it is that ugly..
    but, this client brought me into a $20,000.00 job five years ago! :thumb: ...so firing him is out of the question. :Big Laugh

He is a successfull Architect who has a draftsman sharing office space. They don't need a sign, but desided to put a small one near the door, for folks who have already found them. The Architects name will be set in Castellar, but his draftsman chose this ther horrorshow for his own name added to the sign.

Although "firing" is off the table, I've already made several minor changes to his original request in the 10 minutes we spent getting his requests written up & his deposit in my hand yesterday. I was in holiday mode, so I did not yet work the ambitious upsell I think I am capable of, & he deserves. I will propose an improved layout & I will also quote him 2 dimensional alternatives above the bang out 2 color flat sign he came in asking for.

Here is just one shot from a recent acomplishment of this clients:

[​IMG]

11. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    Tiki,
    I ran a search for Architext at myfonts.com & came up with a much nicer font, but it is an all caps font. Can you give me a link to the one you found?

I also found another nice draftsman looking font I could have used last week:

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/fonthead/two-by-four/regular/

I actually scanned some light lettering guidelines to add to some copy set in tekton. It came out nice, but this two by four font would have been nicer.

12. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Isign, How much latitude do have for font choice? How about Graphite Light? Very nice architectural font! or Enviro...or Tekton....or ITC Stylus.....Just a thought

13. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    Thanks Rex, those are some good options. I have Enviro and tekton, so I'll show him those for sure.