• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

matching Chevy colors

chadalicious

I am hoping someone can help me with this. I have a customer that wants me to do some magnetics for their company, and they want the magnets to match the color of the truck so you can't tell that they are magnets when they stick them to the trucks.

Without them having brought a truck in, is there any way, or a formula somewhere to print vehicle paint colors? Their trucks are Chevy Imperial Blue. I know the best way would be to match it to a PMS color, but I was hoping someone could help me without having the customer bringing a truck in.

Any ideas?

I'm running a Mimaki JV5-160S, in case that matters at all...

TwoNine

Hey Neighbor -

Here's what I got from the internet for you...

RGB Hexdecimal: #0D1C2C
RGB 0-255: 13, 28, 44
RGB %: 5.1, 11.0, 17.3
CMYK %: 70, 36, 0, 83
Grayscale: 25 (RGB values)
L: 10, a: -2, b: -13
Hue: 211°, Saturation: 70%, Lightness: 17%
X: 0, Y: 70, Z: 17

BTW - I have some old signs of yours sitting in my shop! Had a removal and they were in there.

Good Luck,
-Chad (not Chadalicious) or Chadillac or........

OldPaint

you really need to learn nothing matches car paint LIKE CAR PAINT!!! i do this all the time. and i dont have a printer to fiddle with and waste time trying to hit a shade of color that if you jump in your vehicle go to the nearest PEP BOY, AUTO ZONE, DISCOUNT AUTO, O'RILEY'S OR justabout any place that sells DUPLICOLOR touch up spray paint, buy a couple cans of the NEEDED color, lay out you mags, clean properly and lay down the EXACT SHADE OF BLUE your customer wants. if this is beyond your abilities then take your mags to a auto body shop, and let them spray em.

chadalicious

thanks guys! I am currently working with our in-house painter to try to match the color. but why are there so many different variants and shades of the same color? what a pain!

Chad... what shop do you work for?

TwoNine

My wife and I own Two Nine Sign Co. - we're in Lakewood. Down on 512 & Steele. If you're ever around this way, feel free to give us a call or stop on in.

Si Allen

I am currently working with our in-house painter to try to match the color.

Go back and reread Old Paint's post!

How much time (time = $$ ) are you wasting on this?

I have used touch up spray cans to do the background on magnetics and then added the text ... quick and easy!

Don't forget to add the cost of the touch up spray can to the cost!

d-signtech

I have thought of trying this route. Any problems with paint cracking or peeling? Do you use any sort of plastic primer or adhesive promoter? I am also a pinstriper and airbrusher so I was gonna try this one day but wasnt sure what the end result would be and never got around to trying it...hmmmm slow afternoon now, maybe i'll give it a go.