• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matching ink to paint

Big Blue

I am constantly being asked to match "this" paint color. I get paint on all sorts of materials and have a hard time matching it on my Vutek UV printer (fiery xf rip). It takes me hours to get close, and then it only matches depending where you are standing, it will look great on the printer table, then when moved to a different area they look totally different, so I know when the customer gets the sample and compares it with the paint it may not even be close depending on the lighting they are viewing it from. The ink and the paint have different sheens but the customer is not worried about the sheen, but more the color is the concern. How do you match ink to paint. what kind of lighting do you use. any advise or thouhts would be appreciated. I am self taught and do a decent job, but it just takes a hell of a lot of time, is that just the nature of the beast or is there an easier way. Do you use RGB, CMYK, LAB, HSV? I have an i1000 but it only gets me in the range, sometimes not even that close.:banghead:

JWesthead

I dont have an answer for you but some things to keep in mind or try. Our PressVu 200 has greatly less color gamut than any of our other prints so it some cases it may mean that you just cannot achieve the paint color. I would suggest using your spectro to get a lab value of what you are trying to achieve and go from there. For a quick "get close" +1 for the color chart. Unfortunately for the lighing as Jesse mentioned it only is correct if you know where its going.