• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material buckling how to blame supplier?

heyskull

Our supplier for our standard printable vinyl (every day stuff) is a company called APA which is a Italian company.
On Friday Evening after running almost 100 Metres of their material through the machine this week, I loaded a new roll from them into the machine.
Once it starts after 4-8" in the material starts to pucker ending in uneven colour and eventually a head strike.
Nothing has changed I have even checked that the temperature of the rear, middle and front heater are uniform across the entire length of our VJ 1604.
I know their is nothing wrong with the machine but I know when I ring when they open on Monday they will instantly blame a fault with the printer.
I have knocked the rear and mid heaters off completely and it still does this.
What can I say to my supplier on Monday as I have not been able to print a clients job over the weekend that had to be out Monday afternoon!
I just know they will pass the buck and in no way it could be a fault with their material!

SC

heyskull

Yes I ran the last 36" of the last roll through with no problems at all.
I know my supplier will end up saying the problem is mine though.

SC

Kev41

Hi
sounds more like the change in weather especially the humidity i have had the same problems this week with new rolls in. Paper backings soak up moisture in the air and when heated on the platen it cockles. Keeping vinyls in the print room before hand can help, i have a centrally heated print room and have had to run it this week to alleviate the problems for the first time in months

Kev

CRD

Make a video of the good and the bad vinyl printing with a timer running in display and if he denies your claim send it him.

Paco

ova

Cut a length [maybe 6'] off the new roll that's buckling.
Lay it flat on your work table. If it doesn't lay flat, I'd say it's a bad roll.

If it does lay flat, use a heat gun and slowly heat up the vinyl. Don't cook it, just heat it slowly and as evenly as you can. If this causes it to curl at least you'll have something to tell your supplier.

Dave