• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material Choice

Donny7833

Hello All,

I'm donating some new score boards to our local youth baseball program. 3 4'x8' boards for 3 diamonds.

Old ones were hand painted plywood and are falling apart, not sure how long they were up, but I was told a guestimate of 9 years.

I was thinking about using 1/2" Blue Sintra and cast vinyl. Any pros or cons I should be aware of. I use Sintra all the time, but not for anything with type of life expectancy.

Can't use any DiBond or the like because of the possibility of denting from wayward baseballs. Normally I would use painted MDO, but thought the sintra would save me some time.

What do you think?

Don

Jackpine

3/8" or 1/" prefinished MDO would be good. Around here they went to banners so they can roll them up and they are cheaper.

Donny7833

We discussed the soft sign option, but they want something semi permanent. I would be supplying number kits as well that would hang on hooks. Here's a pic.

The kits will bade out of routed 3mm Blue sintra and cast vinyl.

I didn't realize that 1/2 sintra is prone to warping, maybe painted MDO is way to go after all.

Attachments

• LCats Scoreboard Pic.jpg
    LCats Scoreboard Pic.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 68

dfeicke

I'd say stay with the MDO. You've got to paint it probably, but it'll hold up and can be easily repaired if needed.

Either that, or maybe try to go with a heavy banner material. That works pretty well too, and is easier to change out, or take down, off-season.

The blue sintra will fade out over time. We did a cut-out letter job several years ago out of it, and in about 2 years, they were faded pretty badly.

I guess you could use white sintra and paint it, but then we're back to the MDO.