• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material Cutting

jpena9137

Does anyone have ideas on how to go about cutting a roll of phototex. The reason I want it cut is because I have a 30" plotter and the opaque version doesn't come in a 30" (not for another month or so at lease) and was hoping in the mean time to by a 60" roll and have it cut it in half. I called Grimco and they will not sell me phototex or allow me to bring it in and have them cut it (not even for a charge). Any outside-the-box ideas would be appreciated.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
A while back I cut a 54" roll of Phototex into a 30" and a 24". I ran a piece of 2" masking tape around where I wanted to cut and whacked it in two. The downside is that one of the resultant rolls will have the cut side on the right and one will have it on the left. The roll with the cut side on the right might be problematic for printing since the cut side will be under the print head. The cleaner the cut the less of a problem it will be. You could, of course, rewind the one roll moving the the cut side on the left.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
how did you cut it? With a saw?

Power miter, sometimes called a 'chop saw'. You could use a Sawzall, a power hacksaw, a really large band saw, or even cut it with a hand saw. I chose the power miter.

SebastienL

Like bob said. We do it often with a miter saw.
It will stink up your shop from the heated glue as you cut! Just be warned...

Last edited: