• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Material for 8 x60 ft banner

mameighan

8 x 60 ft banner for side of corrugated metal building.

Would 15 oz material be enough? Should we go to 18 oz? Client is thinking of using wood blocks every two feet or so to bolt the grommets to. The banner then might sit if the wall a little. Would this be a problem with wind etc

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

Mark

mameighan

As long as possible. Several years if it works. I know banners ate temp but we have had banners on walls for years but this is a little different

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to just put up 15 sheets of diebond bolted directly to the walls ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let's see.

With the right equipment and the right input, you could make an 8' x 60' diebond sign for less than $600, even it it had full bleeds and every color in the rainbow on it. It would last at least 3 to 4 years and with liquid or rigid lam.... more. 18oz. banner material will cost you at least $800 before you start lettering it. Hanging the banner will be clumsy at best and probably drooping here and there a bit over time. It will also take quite a bit of time, while rigid panels could be placed in about 2 hours and then go back and put the rest of the hardware in.

mameighan

Thanks for the advice. I will talk to client
Mark
QUOTE="Gino, post: 1366927, member: 4143"]Let's see.

With the right equipment and the right input, you could make an 8' x 60' diebond sign for less than $600, even it it had full bleeds and every color in the rainbow on it. It would last at least 3 to 4 years and with liquid or rigid lam.... more. 18oz. banner material will cost you at least $800 before you start lettering it. Hanging the banner will be clumsy at best and probably drooping here and there a bit over time. It will also take quite a bit of time, while rigid panels could be placed in about 2 hours and then go back and put the rest of the hardware in.[/QUOTE]

CanuckSigns

do you have experience installing something of that size? a banner that size needs something to keep it taught, that could be a banner frame system, or something like the sign spring system, either way there is more to it than screwing a banner to a wall.

mameighan

I do not. I am just quoting printing but am looking for advice on that and the installation.

Thanks

do you have experience installing something of that size? a banner that size needs something to keep it taught, that could be a banner frame system, or something like the sign spring system, either way there is more to it than screwing a banner to a wall.

stew1tx

Centex Wraps and Signs
Gino, I have a hard time seeing the banner cost that much. Heck, he could get 60" rolls and print it and heat seam it. That is big for sure, and dibond or another rigid would be good option, BUT it is doable with banner.Grommets and mounts need to be designed though as sagging is a guarantee.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Let's see.

With the right equipment and the right input, you could make an 8' x 60' diebond sign for less than $600, even it it had full bleeds and every color in the rainbow on it. It would last at least 3 to 4 years and with liquid or rigid lam.... more. 18oz. banner material will cost you at least $800 before you start lettering it. Hanging the banner will be clumsy at best and probably drooping here and there a bit over time. It will also take quite a bit of time, while rigid panels could be placed in about 2 hours and then go back and put the rest of the hardware in.

4x8 sheets of dibond? You need 15 sheets...how would it take 2 hours to install. How do you make it for $600? What the heck are you talking about?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, I have a hard time seeing the banner cost that much. Heck, he could get 60" rolls and print it and heat seam it. That is big for sure, and dibond or another rigid would be good option, BUT it is doable with banner.Grommets and mounts need to be designed though as sagging is a guarantee.

Yes, but are you figuring 18 oz ?? That's a lotta printing and hopefully he can get 60' of banner to run perfectly straight........ twice ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
4x8 sheets of dibond? You need 15 sheets...how would it take 2 hours to install. How do you make it for $600? What the heckare you talking about?

Unless you know what you're talking about or have experience doing these kinda things, ..... don't doubt what has already been done. And done many times.

Everything I said/wrote has been done. I could be off by an hour or so, but it all depends on YOUR level of competence and knowhow....... and what tools you have in your arsenal.

Costs of materials, I'll discuss in PMs, not out here.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Unless you know what you're talking about or have experience doing these kinda things, ..... don't doubt what has already been done. And done many times.

Everything I said/wrote has been done. I could be off by an hour or so, but it all depends on YOUR level of competence and knowhow....... and what tools you have in your arsenal.

Costs of materials, I'll discuss in PMs, not out here.

This I'd like to see. Personally, I think you've had too much and need to put the bottle down. 8x60 Dibond sign I'd be charging like $6-8k for that one.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
LMGTFY

Best way to go.
A plain banner will look like cr*p if not instantly then eventually. The frame also brings you return business - use it as a selling point.
Dibond will be in the (minimum if you wanna make money) 4k-6k range.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For those interested, I did not say I could install the whole thing in 2 hours. I could place them. Placing means.... they are put up with a few strategic fasteners. After they are all placed, two of us could go back and finish it off in another 2 or 3 hours.

Using the correct tools and correct approach.... you could make a killing on a job like this. A banner that size, like many have mentioned would only be possible with one of those units that frame it out. I don't see how that can be cheaper to produce than rigid substrates ??

And yes, you could make this 8' x 60' sign for under $600.00 I did not say I would sell it for that. My Gawd..... do any of you read and comprehend anything.... or are ya just thinking up your next silly question or insult ??

mameighan

Thanks guys. Sorry I was not getting any emails to see the replies. I thought the dibond was way too low as well. I am still talking to the client so we will see how it goes.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Talk to these guys
www.lindsignspring.com/

One of their frames was installed here locally (not by me) on the side of a hotel that is quite a bit larger than your project.
Looked very good and has been updated with new promos 2 or 3 times now.

wayne k
guam usa