• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material for Life Size Cutouts

coniwalk

We have been tasked with making 8 life sized cutouts for a promotion. We plan to run them on adhesive vinyl, back them on some material to be determined and then cut them by hand. Can anyone advise the best backer material and cutting tool for the job? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Foamcore, Coroplast, Sintra, whatever. Cut out with a Cutawl. Trying to do it with some sort of knife is just beating up on yourself. Once you use a Cutawl you'll wonder where it's been all your life.

fresh

Do they need to stand up to the elements? If not....

You might want to consider using 1/2" Ultraboard for freestanding cutouts. We've done a bunch of these (also hand-cut) and corex can be flimsy. Even 1/4" ultraboard is much more rigid.

coniwalk

I looked at the Ultra Board and it looks really good. The cutouts will not be exposed to the elements but will be used for a number of months. What do you cut it with? Thanks!

Do they need to stand up to the elements? If not....

You might want to consider using 1/2" Ultraboard for freestanding cutouts. We've done a bunch of these (also hand-cut) and corex can be flimsy. Even 1/4" ultraboard is much more rigid.[/QUOTE]