• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material for Vp 540?

design unfolds

Hi guys, i am looking at different print materials for my VP540i, like PVC banner, self adhesive, mesh banner etc. There are few questions would like to ask.

1. Some of the heavy weight banner materials come in minimum 79" in width. That will be no good for my VP540 (54"). Will that be possible to cut the roll in two parts and use it as normal?

2. The supplier also sent me some materials for Water Base inkjet printer. Some of them are quite nice. Just wonder will they be ok to use it on Eco Solvent ink machine?

3. Is there anything i need to be aware of regarding material?

Bigdawg

Just Me
1. Some of the heavy weight banner materials come in minimum 79" in width. That will be no good for my VP540 (54"). Will that be possible to cut the roll in two parts and use it as normal?

You are in the UK.. but there should be 54" rolls there too... cutting it in half means you can only do 3 ft. banners - barely. You want that 54" inch width for the 4ft banners.

2. The supplier also sent me some materials for Water Base inkjet printer. Some of them are quite nice. Just wonder will they be ok to use it on Eco Solvent ink machine?

Not at all... and if your supplier is sending you stuff like this for an eco-sol machine, you need to find a supplier that understands your needs and your machine.

3. Is there anything i need to be aware of regarding material?

do not use materials meant for water-based machines... and profile, profile, profile is the most important thing about ANY material...

design unfolds

Thanks for your reply stacy. I could actually cut the 79" roll into 48" and 31" therefore i can use one roll for 4ft banners and other roll for 2ft banners. Will that be possible to use it on the machine by cutting it myself? And they comes in minimum 79" i could actually buy an even wider roll for better usage.

Bigdawg

Just Me
When you cut down you have to allow for the rollers (assume 1-1/2" to 2") that won't be printable and then room for the hem and grommets. If you are goint to cut down a 79" roll I would go with 52" and 27" giving you enough room to do both.

If you aren't set up to cleanly cut that roll, I'd have my supplier do it. Very concerned about them sending you water-based material for your machine though... that's enough to make me want you to find another supplier...

We cut rolls of vinyl and banner - some are a true challenge. With banners you will have excessive strings on the cut side and you'll need to burn them off with a lighter - otherwise the strings hang on your printheads, produce ink drops on your prints, and can cost you money on wasted material if not done properly.

sfr table hockey

I do have a couple photo and canvas media that let you print on them in both aqueous and eco sol. This might be why they sent some samples for aqueous but if they don't say they are for both then most likely are not. Most aqueous medias are 4 times the cost of un coated media so it's not worth using them even if they work for solvent.

I also had to cut a longer roll of canvas down to fit my 42" printer and used my band saw. It was not a real straight cut in the end but did work. Like Pacific Coast Sign said, the edges get burred and depending on how strong the banner material is therewould be more fibers in that then canvas.

You might be surprised how much you can cut through with a good sharp blade in a knife and keep going around the roll a bit deeper each pass. Get a line started around and keep following it. The core will be the worst part. I have cut a roll of shrink wrap (3" deep) with a blade and it did not take that long and the edges don't get frayed.
Depending on how thick the roll is, it could be done.