• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material ideas?

ABPGraphics

I have a customer that would like their main sign changed - My local competition did this sign and the customer hates it ....so she came to me ....the other sign co did 3 pieces of (it looks like) .040 alum - the sign size is 6'x12' and as you can see by the pictures they are warping and look like crap - Do you all have any ideas what we could do maybe that has a frame I'm open to anything and so is my customer

:thankyou:

Attachments

• enerflex1.jpg
    enerflex1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 115
  • enerflex2.jpg
    enerflex2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 132
  • enerflex 3.jpg
    enerflex 3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 114

speedmedia

I personally would probably use 6mm or 10mm alumalite or dibond for that. Would prevent the warping I would think.

Thanks,
Kurt

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is the sign face going to remain the same ??

The only thing wrong with that sign is..... it was installed wrong.

There was just another discussion about this very subject yesterday and there are alot of good ideas in that one. You might want to search for it.

BEL Signs

I would make a 1 piece Ally Comp sign tray with 75mm returns.

A 3mm thick 4m x 2m sheet would be fine. It would be in 1 piece and easy to fit, attach your batons, pop the sign over the top and polypin or screw into place.

I just put one up last Saturday, got the 4m x 2m sheet in, made the tray in about 1 hour with a hand router.

A nice solid 1 piece sign with a bit of dimension. Works well if you've got the room to make the tray of course.

petrosgraphics

if the panels are .040 alum. why not take everything down.. make a frame using 1" alum.
cube, put in plenty of center support braces (same 1" cube as frame) pop rivet faces to frame use 3m vhb tape on the alum. butt joints, along with rivets.. you can also add a
3/4" x 1" alum. angle for a molding on the outside edge. use tech. screws to secure the
molding to the frame... very lightweight.. make it in 1 or 2 sections, that would be your call.... your sign supplier should have the 1" cube,connectors for the cube,corner braces,
center support braces along with the 3/4" x 1" angle......

wes70

I too would recommend a 3mil aluminum composite substrate. If a frame is required then I would use ex7 or ex12 aluminum extrusion and fit the substrate into the extrusion's channel.

daveb

General Know-it-all
The 3mm composite is a good idea, take a lot less $$ than making a frame.... But whats the budget? Up sell to 1/2'' routed PVC letters stud mounted to the wall, or better yet if that doesn't scare them go for a nice 2'' non illuminated channel letter. Who says a sign has to be square panels on a wall, at least cut the material to the shape of the oval... my .02 cents worth. Up sell, think bigger. You and your customer will be glad.

Dave

wes70

The 3mm composite is a good idea, take a lot less $$ than making a frame.... But whats the budget? Up sell to 1/2'' routed PVC letters stud mounted to the wall, or better yet if that doesn't scare them go for a nice 2'' non illuminated channel letter. Who says a sign has to be square panels on a wall, at least cut the material to the shape of the oval... my .02 cents worth. Up sell, think bigger. You and your customer will be glad.

Dave

I like your way of thinking! :thumb:

cptcorn

adad
I personally would probably use 6mm or 10mm alumalite or dibond for that. Would prevent the warping I would think.

Thanks,
Kurt

It will still expand and warp slightly... I'd build a frame for them. This way they can expand and contract without buckling.

ABPGraphics

So the sign is changing - this is their logo ....they want onlythe logo, they want nothing else on the sign - So I am considering pricing Gemini Letters - I think it would look way better than a background material - I have not installed many Gemini products - Any install tips would be awesome - Stud only? Pad Only - Combination Stud & Pad

Thanks for all your input - If they do not want individual letters I will definitely go with a frame Ex. & most likely Dibond

Attachments

• enerflex pics.jpg
    enerflex pics.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 101

wes70

Yep, use the stud install and make sure you get the paper template from Gemini...saves a lot of work.

Lay out your template. Drill holes. Clean out holes by blowing into with a small rubber hose. Remove template. Install letters with adhesive silicone in the holes.