• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material Issue?

I am pretty sure it wasn't parked too close to a fire, it's not in service yet. I haven't been able to go look at it because it's still in the shop getting the lights and radios installed. I will definitely post my findings after I get to check it out. But one thing is bothering me... this whole checking to see if the reflective is flipped. I use a lot of 680CR, and I have never had to worry about the orientation of it, I've never even heard of that when it comes to this engineer grade reflective. I realize diamond grade and some other materials may be much more directional, but 680CR should not be, right?

printhog

The photo looks like rotational sensitivity at its finest.. see pics in the avery blog for examples.. Is Sensitivity an Excuse for Bad Sheeting Behavior?| blog | Avery Dennison Newsroom

In general glass bead films have much lower luminance abilities as you move into wider angles...that photo's angle is just NOT in the service range, but why one section reflects more is weird. It could be that the stripe got rotated and the film is sensitive to this. That would show at the extreme angle in the photo. There are web issues with glass bead films due to the process used to make them. I rotate tiles so the edge differences arent apparent when tiling big prints. I also mark top for each graphic, so as to avoid any optic differences. Glass bead films have a narrower entrance and observation set than prismatics with luminance falling off rapidly outside the optimum straight on view.

Its also possible the laminate may be scattering light.. or that the film has some defect. If it were me, I'd upsell client to a rotationally insensitive film as they are better.

680 SERIES WRAP.. angular drop-off in luminance of (L) image is pretty obvious when compared to straight on optics of (R) image. Some of your issue is this property of the film.

(c)mega43 (2).jpg
(c)mega40.jpg

The photo looks like rotational sensitivity at its finest.. see pics in the avery blog for examples.. Is Sensitivity an Excuse for Bad Sheeting Behavior?| blog | Avery Dennison Newsroom

In general glass bead films have much lower luminance abilities as you move into wider angles...that photo's angle is just NOT in the service range, but why one section reflects more is weird. It could be that the stripe got rotated and the film is sensitive to this. That would show at the extreme angle in the photo. There are web issues with glass bead films due to the process used to make them. I rotate tiles so the edge differences arent apparent when tiling big prints. I also mark top for each graphic, so as to avoid any optic differences. Glass bead films have a narrower entrance and observation set than prismatics with luminance falling off rapidly outside the optimum straight on view.

Its also possible the laminate may be scattering light.. or that the film has some defect. If it were me, I'd upsell client to a rotationally insensitive film as they are better.

680 SERIES WRAP.. angular drop-off in luminance of (L) image is pretty obvious when compared to straight on optics of (R) image. Some of your issue is this property of the film.

View attachment 130405 View attachment 130407

Excellent post, thank you! I was actually about to update everyone. I finally got a chance to go look at the truck, nothing was wrong with the reflective. It was exactly what you said, the customer was looking at it from an angle and using a bright camera flash. After I told them that the reflective behaved differently at different angles, they went and looked again and are 100% happy now. But to hopefully minimize this problem in the future... I do know for a fact 2 of the stripes were rotated 90 degrees in the cut file, to make the most of the material. I've never had a problem with it before, but maybe from now on everything will have to be cut in the same direction. It's just odd to me, I've never known 680CR to have "rotational sensitivity"... I use a lot of it.

ams

I actually don't see the difference, but I refuse to work with fire departments anymore, they are extremely picky and will want you to either fix or knock down the price for any kind of tiny little thing they find that isn't even visible. I even had a roll of black reflective fail, told them I need to get a new roll and will fix it and he said don't bother, take it off my bill and we'll use someone else.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I actually don't see the difference, but I refuse to work with fire departments anymore, they are extremely picky and will want you to either fix or knock down the price for any kind of tiny little thing they find that isn't even visible. I even had a roll of black reflective fail, told them I need to get a new roll and will fix it and he said don't bother, take it off my bill and we'll use someone else.

No kidding....... go figure.

DoubleDiamond

I think the problem is most noticeable in the photo 7. The only vertical pass is most likely the one in question. The only difference is the 90deg difference, so I think if that did not happen, the unpleasant result would not happen either. It's the angle.
It still should not happen, but I see a simple solution.