• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material Measurment Issue

vinylfrontier

Anyone know how to adjust or calibrate the material measurement on Roland CJ500? I have 36" material loaded and when I set it up it measures at 21.7" so I cannot print or cut to the full width. I have checked the maintenance manual and did not see anything on it, unless I missed it.

sfr table hockey

On the CJ 500 you have 3 pinch rollers. The two rollers on the outsides are what gives the width of the material. Make sure you have the right side roller as far to the right as you can. Then the far left roller should be over the roller 3rd from the left. The middle pinch roller can go over any other roller or not even used and just leave over an open area.

vinylfrontier

How can you trick it? I was thinking about trying to tape the sensor so that I can cut 15" rolls of vinyl. The pinch rollers will not fit 15" rolls. I have a smaller cutter but it would be nice to not have to switch between cutters, plus my smaller cutter does not print.

sfr table hockey

ya the 15" is a bad size for the CJ. The only way to do this would be leave the far right pinch roller some where over the right roller. Set your 15" material so the left edge is on the 3rd roller from the left and use the center roller on the 4th roller. You will have about 2 inches of vinyl to the right of the 4th roller. This will hold the vinyl in place and use those two rollers to feed the material. Then you need to trick the censor into seeing material from the right side roller to the edge of where your vinyl starts. On the CJ taping over censors does not work that well as it moves media back and forth over the censors to detect length of material. What I would try is to set a scrap of any material thats about 15" to 20" (could be backing paper from other jobs as long as it longer than the job you want to cut) and set this piece in the CJ to the right of the 15" vinyl that you are going to cut. The scrap will move parallel to your working vinyl and thus let the censors detect as they should. *** just make sure that you manually set the base point to where the working vinyl is otherwise you will start cutting on the scrap.

Key is to be able to use at least 2 rollers to hold your material you are cutting. The other scrap can slide around a bit as long as it still covers the front and back censor, otherwise it will stop cutting and think the media ran out.

I'm sure this is clear as mud......