• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material Shortage?

gnubler

I got an email from 4Over (trade printer) that there's a shortage on paper and they have to put a limit on print orders. So paper is now being rationed.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
So, since I've been in business I realized that I haven't bought much magnet material. So I decided to sub it out to firesprint whenever someone wants magnets. Just as I ran out of magnet material, I noticed there was a shortage. As luck would have it, firesprint is making bank off of me now. I've sent over 2 magnet over in 2 days. I've had 6 magnet orders EVER...now suddenly everyone wants magnets.

We switched from Orajet 3951RA 30" rolls over to 3751RA 30" rolls but everything else media-wise has been available, at least in limited quantities. Cut vinyl seems to be the real obstacle. Some colors are just impossible to find. Even Oracal 751 black was out of stock everywhere about a month ago and we had to substitute it with 3M.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
oh yea. we have to call fellers for EVERY color change wrap we have. We have lost business because Fellers does not have some colors in stock AND 3M and Avery Dennison are stopping production on some colors until further notice.

CanuckSigns

I was told that there is a run on retractable banner media, out of stock at my usual suppliers. I was told it's not expected back in stock till the fall, with trade shows back in full swing now all the companies are looking to refresh their 2.5 year old tradeshow displays!

victor bogdanov

I paid for a couple of pallets of phototex in October, it was delivered a couple weeks ago. ETA at time of purchase was a "few weeks"

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I was told that there is a run on retractable banner media, out of stock at my usual suppliers. I was told it's not expected back in stock till the fall, with trade shows back in full swing now all the companies are looking to refresh their 2.5 year old tradeshow displays!
That sucks... We do a lot of pullups. We are good for now, but it's good to know that's next on the long list of harder to get materials.

GC Decor

Super Printer
Lots of shortages and delays. Seeing tons of Vinyls out of stock. Local Manufacturers have 60-90 day lead times - Kinda crazy

Scotchbrite

No comment
At this time I feel like you can never know what may or may not be available. I used to place my orders about 30 minutes before end of day, but now I order as soon as I know it's needed because I may have trouble finding it. Ordering frequently takes way longer these days.

victor bogdanov

I significantly increased how much material I keep on hand, before I would have 1-2 weeks worth on hand for my most used materials, now I keep 3+ months on hand. Down side to this is takes up lots of space and lots of money tied up but after having a couple of days where my printers sat idle waiting for material to come in there is no other way. Also buy as much as possible before the next price increase

my reception area now, material storage overflow stacked almost to the ceiling
l
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Seems like some manufacturers have taken this situation as an opportunity drop products that may not be as popular or profitable. For example Arlon no longer makes 15" material.
It's a sign of an overheated economy. The chatter here 4-5 years ago was more about balance of profitable jobs and cash flow jobs, now it's screw that I make more doing this over here. Opportunity cost is out of whack big time.

johnrobert

2 weeks ago I have gone through the same issue but thanks to one of my friends who arranged paper and other materials from blue dot signs anyone can get the right materials from them. Contact

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i searched five main suppliers last week to get a 50yd roll of high performance BLACK in that wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's just history repeating itself. Get used to it or get outta the way of progress.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
So, since I've been in business I realized that I haven't bought much magnet material. So I decided to sub it out to firesprint whenever someone wants magnets. Just as I ran out of magnet material, I noticed there was a shortage. As luck would have it, firesprint is making bank off of me now. I've sent over 2 magnet over in 2 days. I've had 6 magnet orders EVER...now suddenly everyone wants magnets.

I'm sure they're making HUGE bank off your 2 magnet orders. Lol. :rolleyes: