Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Material Sizing and Waste Management Help

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by prosigner, Mar 3, 2013.

1. prosigner

prosigner Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Calgary
    Hey guys,

My new Roland Pro 4 is coming Thursday and as a newbie I have a question on material/substrate sizing and waste management. We're offering different sizes of art but only bought inventory of 60" rolls. Do I need to buy rolls of all different sizes of the same material? I'm just trying to figure out how to minimize substrate waste.

Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tags:
  2. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    advantages of one size roll is less roll swapping... disadvantage is material waste (as you know, of course) ...and if you are laminating, there is also less roll swapping on the laminator, which is a bigger PITA, as well as one that I encounter waste with every time I swap...

...but in my market, I am printing on 30" - 36" media over 75% of the time... so I leave 38" lam loaded (with craft paper) and I can sometimes go 2 to 3 weeks before I need to lam something 48" - 60"

if you are mostly doing wraps, your usage will differ greatly... but if you end up doing a lot of 18x24 prints, 2' or 3' tall banners, car mags, smaller parking signs, and printed logos only, to stick on to larger cut vinyl signs... not to mention hundreds of smaller decal orders.. then like myself (& a majority here, I would guess) ...I think you will want to get smaller rolls of at least an intermediate vinyl, and banner stock

3. MrSalumi

MrSalumi Member

Oct 27, 2012
    earth
    Kelowna Eh? Freaking beautiful. Congrats on the pro4

4. CalamityJay

CalamityJay Member

Jul 13, 2012