• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material Sizing and Waste Management Help

prosigner

Hey guys,

My new Roland Pro 4 is coming Thursday and as a newbie I have a question on material/substrate sizing and waste management. We're offering different sizes of art but only bought inventory of 60" rolls. Do I need to buy rolls of all different sizes of the same material? I'm just trying to figure out how to minimize substrate waste.

Any information on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

iSign

advantages of one size roll is less roll swapping... disadvantage is material waste (as you know, of course) ...and if you are laminating, there is also less roll swapping on the laminator, which is a bigger PITA, as well as one that I encounter waste with every time I swap...

...but in my market, I am printing on 30" - 36" media over 75% of the time... so I leave 38" lam loaded (with craft paper) and I can sometimes go 2 to 3 weeks before I need to lam something 48" - 60"

if you are mostly doing wraps, your usage will differ greatly... but if you end up doing a lot of 18x24 prints, 2' or 3' tall banners, car mags, smaller parking signs, and printed logos only, to stick on to larger cut vinyl signs... not to mention hundreds of smaller decal orders.. then like myself (& a majority here, I would guess) ...I think you will want to get smaller rolls of at least an intermediate vinyl, and banner stock