• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mathews Paint users... mask ?

tagsigns

We have been using Mathews paints for many years, lately I have noticed the paint affecting the paint mask. (3M, Oracal) What happens is at the time of removal the mask is leaving the adhesive behind and creating a big mess to clean up. Anyone else experience this? I've tried removing the mask right after painting (giving just a few minutes to tack up) but this isn't always possible and can sometimes be messy.

Thoughts?

I can guess what the problem is... but need a solution.

Mosh

We use oracal 651 all the time to mask when using Mathews and other paints. I never let the mask stay on over 24 hours and never let the sun hit it and it is in a temp controlled enviro. I try to pull the mask ASAP, depending on coverage.

Back in the day we used Gerbermask, but now save the $$$

MikePro

maybe too much thinner in your paint? too much paint at once?
i've used all the brands and never had that issue. +1 to peeling soon-after the paint just barely sets: major time saver and cleaner lines.

sidenote: when I want to remove an entire reflective sign panel, I just soak a rag of universal paint thinner and let it sit on the sign face under a piece of cardboard. all the reflective graphics delaminate, and all i have to do is peel off the skin and scrape off the sheet of adhesive boogers left behind. gooey mess. point being, even the toughest vinyl can't repel everything. which is why my money is on chemical-related failure, not the brand.