• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matt Lamination

CJ1

Hi Guys

I don't know much about laminators so apologies if I am talking rubbish here ;-)

To reduce the glare/shine of the Roland Inks on a banner type media for certain jobs I am thinking that I could laminate them with a Matt Laminate.

Can anyone recommend a Laminator / brand?

- Needs to be 1600mm width.
- Needs to be able to take-up the media as I will likely do the whole lot in one go if that's possible?
- Colours need to be just as good after lamination.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards

Chris

CJ1

We have one of these:
RSC-1651LSH – 65″ Cold Roll Laminator w/ Heat Assist – Royal Sovereign Graphics
with rear take up and additional front feeder options.
Besides the manual being completely wrong on how to web it correctly for full roll lamination jobs, it works very well and haven't had any issues with it.
Mounting is a piece of cake, as well as laminating small jobs.

Thanks for that I will see where best for me to buy or try one.

Just a quick question, Let's say I have 10 prints on my run and I want to laminate them in one go and cut them up after, is this possible?

Thanks

Chris

boxerbay

laminating 13oz scrim banner is not a good idea due to the texture in the face of the media. if you want matte finish use matte banner material.

you can laminate an entire 150' roll if you like.

CJ1

laminating 13oz scrim banner is not a good idea due to the texture in the face of the media. if you want matte finish use matte banner material.

you can laminate an entire 150' roll if you like.
Thanks for your input.

The problem we have is that its the inks that are not Matt finish the media itself is very Matt.
A lot of the stuff we print covers the entire media so the whole thing ends up shiny.

I would say the banner that we get is very flat and smooth no ridges, so I am assuming it wouldn't be a problem for lamination.
In any case it would be try before we buy and take my own print/media and see if it laminates correctly giving the correct result.

DerbyCitySignGuy

If you absolutely have to laminate it, use a liquid laminate. Marabu makes matte laminate that's easy to hand roll if you don't have a liquid laminator.

CJ1

If you absolutely have to laminate it, use a liquid laminate. Marabu makes matte laminate that's easy to hand roll if you don't have a liquid laminator.

Thank you for that tip that was something I had not thought of, I have enquired with them.
At least that is something I could try quite cheaply and then buy a liquid laminator if the results are good.

Thanks Chris

DerbyCitySignGuy

Thank you for that tip that was something I had not thought of, I have enquired with them.
At least that is something I could try quite cheaply and then buy a liquid laminator if the results are good.

Thanks Chris

Unless you're doing LOTS of liquid lamination, I wouldn't purchase a liquid laminator. Unless you've got the money and don't mind a slow ROI. They're great if you're laminating entire rolls of material on a regular basis, but not really worth the time, money, and effort for one offs.

CJ1

not sure what would be considered as lots but it would be between 32 sqm to 144 sqm per day.
A lot of what we do is unattended so ideally any lamination would have some sort of auto feed so we can keep an eye on it if that is even possible o_O

DerbyCitySignGuy

not sure what would be considered as lots but it would be between 32 sqm to 144 sqm per day.
A lot of what we do is unattended so ideally any lamination would have some sort of auto feed so we can keep an eye on it if that is even possible o_O

There are laminators that you can put your roll of material on and walk away from, but they do require someone to occasionally check on them while they're running. I've never seen one that works perfectly all the time. Heh.

CJ1

I have narrowed down the search to this one (approx £3600):
Easymount EM-S1600H Wide Format Laminator

I am tempted by this but i'm not sure I need the advanced features of it and i'd rather buy new and have a good relationship with the supplier in case I have need support or have problems.
Easymount 1600SH, 1600mm Single Hot Roller Laminator | eBay

My next stage is proof of concept, trial that the laminate does reduce glare (Matt) and work with our existing media.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.