• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matte Black Bumper

divers2deep

I am looking to wrap the bumper of a truck with matte black.

First question, which brand / type would recommend ? (south FL truck)

Second question, what's your take on the material not being laminated, does it scratch easily, or rip ? ( if you would laminate it, it would take away from the matte at that point. )

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Kevin

CP Signs

I print matte black on matte media then laminate with matte lam. All Oracal. Took a few shots to get it right. Was doing stripes on a gloss black truck.

xxaxx

Who says you have to buy a whole roll?
Fellers sells a lot of the specialty vinyls by the yard.
I would use 3m 1080. I've used it before and I don't think it looks brown at all.

We have rolls of matte black from all the major vendors, and when you compare them side by side, it is very easy to see 3ms is much more brown thanall the rest ... On its own its not horrible, but when comparing its obvious.

johnnysigns

The Avery and Oracal matte blacks are both nice. I use more of the Avery though, just my preference, not law.

Oracal 970RA or the Avery Supreme Wrapping Film

HulkSmash

Who says you have to buy a whole roll?
Fellers sells a lot of the specialty vinyls by the yard.
I would use 3m 1080. I've used it before and I don't think it looks brown at all.

3M is straight brown. Hold it up next to Avery or Oracal. On its own it looks fine, but next to real stuff it's awful. Avery installs the best, and looks the best in my opinion. If you're an experienced wrapped you're going to love Avery.

Wraptrick

3M is straight brown. Hold it up next to Avery or Oracal. On its own it looks fine, but next to real stuff it's awful. Avery installs the best, and looks the best in my opinion. If you're an experienced wrapped you're going to love Avery.

I'm actually using some Avery wrap vinyl on a project for the first time next week, I've been wanting to see how it performs. I used 3M Matte Black on my truck, and I think it looks nice. I see what you mean now about it looking brown in comparison, though.

rubo

sorry for my ignorance - just curious why not paint the thing if it's solid color?
Seriously?

divers2deep

Well, got this project done.

Here is how it came out.

Attachments

• Photo Mar 13, 6 46 59 PM-1280.jpg
    Photo Mar 13, 6 46 59 PM-1280.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Photo Mar 13, 6 45 53 PM-1280.jpg
    Photo Mar 13, 6 45 53 PM-1280.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Photo Mar 13, 6 46 06 PM-1280.jpg
    Photo Mar 13, 6 46 06 PM-1280.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Photo Mar 13, 12 36 46 PM-1280.jpg
    Photo Mar 13, 12 36 46 PM-1280.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 95

GypsyGraphics

i used Hexi matte black... my problem was that i'd put a body kit on the car and then front bumper was very low.... took quite a beating.

ended up being a nightmare. i wouldn't do that again for any price, but i'd say a BIG part of the problem was the front bumper's close proximity to the ground, cuz it held up well everywhere else, including the back bumper.

johnnysigns

3M 1080 also has Satin black now which looks much richer than the straight matte. Finish wise it looks like luster laminate.