• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matte gold - 2 issues with Summa DC4?

meltsner

I have had a roll of Matte Gold foil now for well over a year now and am just now getting to use it for first time! (have a small job that needs it)

But.....I have two issues with the DC4. First, I put the roll in a cassette and the DC4 will not recognize it ("invalid color ID"), and second, all of the "regular" colors have small printed decals on the "iButton" chip, with the color name and number, i.e. White 9. But for the matte gold it does not have a sticker, instead somebody just took a Sharpie and wrote "matte gold" on the chip, no ID number.

I have never done a firmware update on the DC4, but according to SummaUSA.com the latest is June 2012. (1) What do I need to do for it to recognize the new color, and (2) does anybody know what the ID number is?

(I also don't have the most current color palette for Corel, but I will just assign the gold a random spot color and change it in ColorControl)

meltsner

I just checked the printer's firmware tonight....guess it's older than I thought.

"Main Rev: 5.1
Engine Rev: 5.1
Build: Aug 04 2008"

Will have to see about updating that and go from there. Thanks.

Still does anyone have the foil number of the matte gold? Still need it to enter it into ColorControl.

meltsner

For any future Google-lers of this same subject....Summa's Matte Gold ID is 31.

I called Summa support instead, and received a very helpful response from them, big thumbs up for Summa there!

In 17 minutes I was guided through the firmware update, and beings my CorelDraw palettes never did display correct (thus I had to know what color matte gold would have been, to enter into ColorControl), he, while the firmware was updating, via their live support "client" took over my computer and rearranged the color palette. It all works great now, except he forgot black......:doh:
Problem solved, I have some great looking decals printed with the matte gold.

CarNate69

Drag black over from the default color palette, or simply click on it when you need it, and you will be good to go. Be sure it's C-0 M-0 Y-0 K-100

meltsner

This is totally odd.....I have always had this issue, but your post has opened up a new door. I just realized that yes I can click on the default black swatch (NOT Summa's palette) and in ColorControl I have always used 'spot colors only'. But....with this black, 'spot colors only' is not available, but Monochrome is, and black is already filled with the correct ID of 4. If that makes sense....

I think this may work, not sure how I missed it earlier. Thanks for mentioning!!