• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

matte lam on matte vinyl?

letterman7

Hi all, I have a customer (who is a tactical unit in our county) that wants one of their vehicles "decorated" with matte vinyls. It won't be a full wrap - they don't want to spend that kind of money, but the majority of the lettering and logos the do want matte: military green and black. Of course, the only matte colors I can find like that are 3M, which is fine. One of their logos I plan to reproduce by printing on the green with my Mutoh. Having never printed on matte before, I'm assuming that the final dry print will still look somewhat matte. My question is: in your opinion, would you still laminate a print on matte with a matte laminate, or do you think the print would stand up to being kept outdoors for a number of years? We're on the east coast, so normally we don't get the sun exposure of southern California, but the truck (a 30' Freightliner) will be kept outside.
If it isn't painfully obvious, I don't do wraps for a living!

Any input would be appreciated!
Thank you,
Rick

Letterbox Mike

Yes, absolutely, laminate it if you and/or your customer are expecting any sort of outdoor durability. You don't need to print on matte vinyl either, if you have gloss in stock, that's fine, the final finish is dictated by the laminate, not the underlying print vinyl.

letterman7

That was my general feeling, as I've always laminated for outdoor use anyway. My issue was matching the existing 3M matte if I used another green, then the matte lam. Since there isn't an exact match of a gloss green to the 3M, I'll just lam the 3M.
Thanks for the confirmation, guys! As always, much appreciated!

WhiteWrapper

You'll probably have issues with color matching printing directly to 1080. I'd suggest wrapping and overlaying logos. FYI gloss overlays on matte really pops and looks great.