• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matte Lamin on Perf

jc1cell

Hey Guys,

Working on a quote for a project that will get perf on some windows and regular vinyl on others. I would like to reduce the sun glare by using matte vinyl for the all graphics but don't know how regular matte laminate would interact with the perf.

How much will it affect the visibility from the inside it not being optically clear?

Thanks
jc

Hey Guys,

Working on a quote for a project that will get perf on some windows and regular vinyl on others. I would like to reduce the sun glare by using matte vinyl for the all graphics but don't know how regular matte laminate would interact with the perf.

How much will it affect the visibility from the inside it not being optically clear?

Thanks
jc

Very significantly. Even gloss non optically clear laminate is hard enough, so I can just imagine matte.

sfr table hockey

The main reason the use window perf would be to enable you to see through from the inside and not notice that the window has anything on it. With anything but optically clear you would have a blurred view and I would think with a matte finish it would be worse.

There might be a matte finish spray that you could coat the window perf with instead of laminate. I have used frog juice (was not a matte finish) on some small perf jobs and have held up. Not sure if it would make much difference on glare from the sun.

Also if it's on a store front window you may not need to laminate. Others may know better on this.

If it is on a vehicle window then it must be optically clear.

jc1cell

Don't even bother with lam. If you use matte, it will be totally blurred from the inside.

I was afraid of that, just wanted some backup.

As far as not laminating, how would you deal with any dust plugging up the holes. Soft spraying water hose? Soft scrubbing of the installed vinyl?

That's a concern for the client, keeping it clear. And knowing that eco-sol inks aren't as resistant as true solvent I would hate to have them spray or wipe the graphic and have it mess up on them.

Cheers,
jc

cdiesel

We've never had an issue. We have LOTS of perf installed, and see it all the time. Still looks good. Ages range from brand new to about three years old.

jasonx

Just make sure the client isn't washing with any citrus based or solvent based cleaners etc if its unlaminated.