• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matte Laminate Too Dull

JLD984

I've been laminating most of my prints with UVM matte laminate film for two years. I'm not sure who makes it as it's sold be several suppliers under different names. I've always preferred it because it has a texture that prevents scratches when applied with a squeegee and it also gives a great finish. The only problem I've had is the white isn't as bright as it could be, and after recently seeing a few signs I did 18 months ago the whole sign appears really dull, especially the white areas.

Does anybody know of a polymeric matte laminate, preferably with a texture, that is perfectly clear and doesn't dull the print? Any help appreciated.

Biker Scout

You should be looking for a laminate called "Luster" finish. It's halfway between matte and gloss. I think it looks better for most stuff, without being too dull or too shiny.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Some brands now have a satin finish...

Typically I find these specs to be true among brands:
Matte/Dull: 0-10% Light Reflection
Satin: 15 - 35% Light Reflection
Luster: 50 - 80% Light Reflection
Gloss: 90 - 100% Light Reflection

If you are using a matte vinyl and matte laminate you can try switching to a gloss vinyl and matte laminate to see if that helps.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
You should be looking for a laminate called "Luster" finish. It's halfway between matte and gloss. I think it looks better for most stuff, without being too dull or too shiny.
I'm using Oracal 210 Semi-Gloss on lots of stuff....looks great. Really is basically a Luster finish, but not quiet as dull as matte.