• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

matte white material for wraps

VinylLabs.com

I have quite a few people asking me about wrapping their cars. I would like to practice on my car and my mechanics car first before doing the clients, I already turned down someone that wanted me to wrap their bently flat black, and I am close to turning down another client who wants a 996T wrapped.

He wants it done in flat white or flat orange, I've told him i dont know if flat orange exists, but I don't know what material I should use to wrap my car with. I have all nessisary equipment (magnets, squeegees etc) but all I've ever done was smaller decals and a few hoods.

What matte material is good to wrap with, and about how much can I expect to pay for a roll?

WrapperX

I would look into anything that's a cast vinyl. And you can use any cast vinyl and just laminate it with a cast matte lam and you will get a simalar affect.

Look in your supplier catalogs for vehicle grade vinyls - that's where your prices are gonna come from.

VinylLabs.com

I was just coming back to say that I've heard some things (reinforced with a search I did, a few pages further back) about orcal 970 with air release, looks like it does not need to be laminated?

my suppliers are closed till monday, and sometimes I get really bad prices here in montreal, I have to shop around quite a bit, they give me varying prices! I just wanted to know what I should be paying for it, but waht I'll do is get the price from my supplier, then post it here.

WrapperX

Well I suppose if you want to debate it - nothing HAS to be laminated but as an installer cast vinyls made for wrapping vehicles are very VERY thin - which why they make good at wrapping - so what the lam does is give it a little more body so that it doesn't stretch uncontrollably and is just a little easier to work with. And if you aren't printing anything then the laminates only purpose would be to give it more body. It's purely an optional and "up to the installers request" kind of thing. For me - it better be laminated or I'm gonna have words...but that's me. It's what I prefer - and what I suggest.

Haakon

Oracal has a matte orange in their car wrap series, 970. I actually ordered a roll of this yesterday for my own car. It is called saffron yellow matte, but its a very orangey yellow. It is available in both regular 970 and 970RA with air release channel. Got this information confirmed yesterday by my supplier, cause the oracal website does not list this colour in 970RA, but they had it in stock in that series now. Ordered a roll of that.

If the 970 series is similar to the 975 (carbonfiber look) series vinyl to work with, then its a great vinyl for wrapping, have used quite a bit of that. A picture of a colour chart, reproduced on a monitor is a very bad way to show a colour, but anyway here is a pic, its the orangey colour named 223:

Attachments

• IMG_1351.jpg
    IMG_1351.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 79

WrapperX

As for pricing - well it usually depends on your supplier - where THEY get it from and the relationship you have with them. If you buy from supplier (A) all the time, you will probably get a better price then if you buy from supplier (B) Who you only buy from every now and then.

D Blackwell

3M also has a matte white film that is thicker and does not need a laminate: Scotchprint Wrap Film 1080-M10 (matte white). Check with your distributor for pricing, these should be available in Canada. You could also laminate the 8915 ultra-matte overlam to a colored film to get a similar effect. Have fun with the wrap.

VinylLabs.com

Well I suppose if you want to debate it - nothing HAS to be laminated but as an installer cast vinyls made for wrapping vehicles are very VERY thin - which why they make good at wrapping - so what the lam does is give it a little more body so that it doesn't stretch uncontrollably and is just a little easier to work with. And if you aren't printing anything then the laminates only purpose would be to give it more body. It's purely an optional and "up to the installers request" kind of thing. For me - it better be laminated or I'm gonna have words...but that's me. It's what I prefer - and what I suggest.
I do not want to debate it, one is better then the other, one is more cost effective, if lamination is suggested I'd probably do it, but I've never laminated before. I just thought a material (Like someone else suggested 1080) was made for wrapping but not printing upon, so it was pre-laminated, or does not need lamination.

Oracal has a matte orange in their car wrap series, 970. I actually ordered a roll of this yesterday for my own car. It is called saffron yellow matte, but its a very orangey yellow. It is available in both regular 970 and 970RA with air release channel. Got this information confirmed yesterday by my supplier, cause the oracal website does not list this colour in 970RA, but they had it in stock in that series now. Ordered a roll of that.

If the 970 series is similar to the 975 (carbonfiber look) series vinyl to work with, then its a great vinyl for wrapping, have used quite a bit of that. A picture of a colour chart, reproduced on a monitor is a very bad way to show a colour, but anyway here is a pic, its the orangey colour named 223:
cool! thanks a lot, I probably wwill buy matte white first thougth yo do my car and my mechanics.

As for pricing - well it usually depends on your supplier - where THEY get it from and the relationship you have with them. If you buy from supplier (A) all the time, you will probably get a better price then if you buy from supplier (B) Who you only buy from every now and then.
agreed, I do not buy in enough quantity to have higher pricebreaks, but It seems like most supplier here are super expensive.

3M also has a matte white film that is thicker and does not need a laminate: Scotchprint Wrap Film 1080-M10 (matte white). Check with your distributor for pricing, these should be available in Canada. You could also laminate the 8915 ultra-matte overlam to a colored film to get a similar effect. Have fun with the wrap.
Thanks, I did check for 1080 and my supplier gave me a flat price of 44$ a yard. that's 6600$ for the roll. I think he said if I buy the roll by itself he would give it to me for 3500ish. but this was the carbon fiber one. I was looking at something more like 500$ tops.

VinylLabs.com

I called up my supplier. they quoted me 28$ a yard for 1080 matte white and black. 687$ a roll (25 yards) does this sound like it's a fair price? I thought a 50yard roll would cost about 500$! (roughball estimate I made up myself)

MikePro

$500 for a roll?!? keep dreamin'.
3M 1080 is new, and expensive. You might get something in the 180C line from 3M for less.

WrapperX

$700 for a 25 yd roll?? YIKES :omg: That's a pricey vinyl!! Who would've thought that an unprinted/printable vinyl would be that expensive?? Geepers!

VinylLabs.com

HAH! i was going to buy a roll to practice on my car and my mechanics, and one i posted that on a forum I had 4 people interested, alongside the original guy with the Porsche who wanted a wrap.

he had emailed me saying: (paraphrasing) how many cars have you done, how long does it take, how much does it cost etc) I got back to him saying (paraphrasing) "it will cost between 1500 and 3500 depending on the material I use, and how many compoound curves your car has (I will need to see the car in person to see problem areas) I have not done any full wraps, all my wraps are partial wraps, however i will be doing Steve's and my car as a full wrap"

to which he replied:
Well if you want to practice on my car for a week I don't mind but it's at your risk .. IE if it's no good you eat the cost of the vinyl and your time.

On the upside, if the job is perfect I would be more than happy to pay you. You would also be able to use my car to get more customers

LOL!

VinylLabs.com

whats your screen name again?:doh:

yeah, but..

Let's not get into that please! ;)

I just wanted to know whether that was a respected price or not. I googled some walkthroughs online and they said they picked up their rolls of 1080 for 500, and so that's what I thought we could get it for.

If I was a cheapass, I would just go for the cheapest material I could find.

also got a pricequote for $588 for 25yards of 970ra, but at this point I think I will stick with the 1080, since it does not need to be laminated.

megacab

Let's not get into that please! ;)

I just wanted to know whether that was a respected price or not. I googled some walkthroughs online and they said they picked up their rolls of 1080 for 500, and so that's what I thought we could get it for.

If I was a cheapass, I would just go for the cheapest material I could find.

also got a pricequote for $588 for 25yards of 970ra, but at this point I think I will stick with the 1080, since it does not need to be laminated.

1080, 970ra, and hexis hx30000 matte white all come ready to go. they are ALL laminated.

Alti-Plotter

Not only for wrapping, the price per roll is what I check last. First I check how I can work with the vinyl. If it's easy to work with, I will save time and material and if in addition it's a good quality, I will save headaches, time and money...
If you want to work on complex shapes and go to the limits of the vinyl (and know where they are), I think it's a good idea to go to a wrapping seminar from the brand of vinyl you are working with (vinyl "x" needs to be worked differently than vinyl "y"). If you are lucky, your teacher will show you many tricks and hints to get the maximum from your vinyl and how to save time and avoid mistakes. If you are not lucky, your teacher will be a salesman.