Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matthews Paint Last Outdoors

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by ahgrafx, Jun 24, 2019.

1. ahgrafx

ahgrafx Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Seattle
    Hello Everyone,
    I just finished doing a stencil painting for a client using matthews on 12ga brushed stainless. I used the surface prep for metal and put several coats of satin clear on top. It was installed on the outside of the clients home in fresno. Just learned it has direct sun exposure the majority of the day around 6 hours. It is under the overhang so im guessing it wont get much we exposure but I'm wondering how long you guys think it will last in these conditions? They arent bright colors just red black and white. It's 33" X 48"
    thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Matthews 2 part acrylic urethane sprayed with a clear coat on top should last a long time in any exposure. If they want to keep it looking nicer longer they should wash and wax it a few times a year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    matthews down here in AL sucks and most companies do not clearcoat, it will be chalky in 3 years time. If you are going to go thru the trouble of clearcoating you might as well use basecoat paints

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ahgrafx

ahgrafx Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Seattle
    This is my first time using the system i believe it was 3 part?? 3:1:1

5. FASTSIGNS

FASTSIGNS Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    We have always found Matthews customer service/technical support very helpful. Try giving them a call to see if they have any insight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    yes, that sounds right...paint, thinner hardener. I just refer to all paints that have to be mixed as 2 part as opposed to paints that are used straight from the can

7. ahgrafx

ahgrafx Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Seattle
    basecoat paints?

8. visual800

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    automotive, you lay down a color called a basecoat and then clear over it

9. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I thought Matthews was a "basecoat" paint that can be used with or without a clear.

10. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Basecoat paint doesn't generally have as much body as a 1 coat paint. I think it's more of an auto industry technique. It's been years since my Matthews training and I haven't painted since, but if I recall correctly, you can use Matthews as a true base coat clear coat system. I just can't recall the correct products to use for that.

11. Big Rice Field

Big Rice Field Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer

Feb 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    What about One Shot? Is that better than Matthews Paint?

12. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    You can clear single stage paints which is what was done. This sign will likely last way longer than it needs to.
    Correct me if Im wrong here. Matthews is pretty much an automotive paint with color formula matching geared towards the sign industry where the auto paints don't have crossovers for pantones and substrate matching.

13. Billct2

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    "What about One Shot? Is that better than Matthews Paint?"
    No

14. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    One Shot was the best when it lead in it. When they took the lead out in the '90's it lost it's longevity.

15. visual800

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    One shot is good for lining the bottom of the trashcan after you throw it in it. Krylon is better than one shot (ok that was a stretch).