• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matthews Paint Last Outdoors

ahgrafx

Hello Everyone,
I just finished doing a stencil painting for a client using matthews on 12ga brushed stainless. I used the surface prep for metal and put several coats of satin clear on top. It was installed on the outside of the clients home in fresno. Just learned it has direct sun exposure the majority of the day around 6 hours. It is under the overhang so im guessing it wont get much we exposure but I'm wondering how long you guys think it will last in these conditions? They arent bright colors just red black and white. It's 33" X 48"
thanks for the help.

Attachments

• stencil.JPG
    stencil.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 311

Billct2

Matthews 2 part acrylic urethane sprayed with a clear coat on top should last a long time in any exposure. If they want to keep it looking nicer longer they should wash and wax it a few times a year.

visual800

matthews down here in AL sucks and most companies do not clearcoat, it will be chalky in 3 years time. If you are going to go thru the trouble of clearcoating you might as well use basecoat paints

ahgrafx

Matthews 2 part acrylic urethane sprayed with a clear coat on top should last a long time in any exposure. If they want to keep it looking nicer longer they should wash and wax it a few times a year.
This is my first time using the system i believe it was 3 part?? 3:1:1

FASTSIGNS

We have always found Matthews customer service/technical support very helpful. Try giving them a call to see if they have any insight.

Billct2

This is my first time using the system i believe it was 3 part?? 3:1:1
yes, that sounds right...paint, thinner hardener. I just refer to all paints that have to be mixed as 2 part as opposed to paints that are used straight from the can

Joe House

Basecoat paint doesn't generally have as much body as a 1 coat paint. I think it's more of an auto industry technique. It's been years since my Matthews training and I haven't painted since, but if I recall correctly, you can use Matthews as a true base coat clear coat system. I just can't recall the correct products to use for that.

equippaint

You can clear single stage paints which is what was done. This sign will likely last way longer than it needs to.
Correct me if Im wrong here. Matthews is pretty much an automotive paint with color formula matching geared towards the sign industry where the auto paints don't have crossovers for pantones and substrate matching.

visual800

One shot is good for lining the bottom of the trashcan after you throw it in it. Krylon is better than one shot (ok that was a stretch).