• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Max Metal Madness

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Now that we are all talking about our businesses going to shit, Grimco decided to run a sale on MaxMetal.

I'd like to stock up, but I am holding tight to my cash right now.

LarryB

Price isn't bad but it seems like everything else is more expensive than it used to be. I don't order much from them anymore.

Malkin

Anyone else notice that maxmetal has 0.15mm skins whereas most others (for example we use mostly omegabond and alupanel) are 0.012" to 0.015"
Many people refer to the inch measurement as "mils" as in thousands-of-an-inch, and it can be easily confused with millimeters by those who aren't strong in math or details.

.15mm is equal to almost .006"
The .30mm maxmetal HD is nearly equal to the 0.012" of the other brands and is listed for more $$ than most of the other brands.

2B

Anyone else notice that maxmetal has 0.15mm skins whereas most others (for example we use mostly omegabond and alupanel) are 0.012" to 0.015"
Many people refer to the inch measurement as "mils" as in thousands-of-an-inch, and it can be easily confused with millimeters by those who aren't strong in math or details.

The .30mm maxmetal HD is nearly equal to the 0.012" of the other brands and is listed for more $$ than most of the other brands.

Exactly, you have to look at how they list the skin thickness.
We have already been burnt by them on that before.

we get ours from Reece .30mm / .012" skin. and our price is lower than the "madness sale" from Grimco for their .15mm / .006" skin

unclebun

Grimco recently raised their prices a lot on MaxMetal. These sale prices are pretty much the old prices. Maybe nobody was buying it at their new high prices.

bannertime

This used to really mess me up. I couldn't figure out why Omegabond was heavier than MaxMetal. I didn't realize that Omegabond and Dibond do their measurements in mils while Alucosun and MaxMetal were in the milometer.

visual800

I rue the day when Grimco falls to its knees and crashes and burns. They are the "walmart" of sign material, taking every other good facility out while on there way to the top.

bannertime

I rue the day when Grimco falls to its knees and crashes and burns. They are the "walmart" of sign material, taking every other good facility out while on there way to the top.

I honestly try to shop other places, but man, some places are just bad. I've asked a few places about Bubble-X, at least two of the places said something along the lines of "I've never heard of it and I've been doin this ## years." When I asked Grimco, they said "oh hadn't heard of it, who makes it, maybe we can get it?"

I tried ordering polycarbonate from Polymershapes and they were charging me more than I retail it for, and then said they had to bring it in from Florida. Lairds plastics refuses to acknowledge they'll delivery in my area and want to charge over $50 for courier. The list just goes on and on.

I have my complaints about Grimco, but they are miles above other places in customer service.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...Many people refer to the inch measurement as "mils" as in thousands-of-an-inch, and it can be easily confused with millimeters by those who aren't strong in math or details...
Still fighting our sales staff and other designer to stop using "mil" and "M" i.e 4M, 3M, 6M or 4mil, 3mil, 6mil
it's "mm" dammit!
Don't even get me started on "ss" or "HP". You think the customer is going to know wth that means?

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!

THIS DRIVES ME NUTS! Dumb play on numbers. Its like grocery shopping and two brands side by side use different units of measure and then you're trying to figure out which is the better deal.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I honestly try to shop other places, but man, some places are just bad. I've asked a few places about Bubble-X, at least two of the places said something along the lines of "I've never heard of it and I've been doin this ## years." When I asked Grimco, they said "oh hadn't heard of it, who makes it, maybe we can get it?"

I tried ordering polycarbonate from Polymershapes and they were charging me more than I retail it for, and then said they had to bring it in from Florida. Lairds plastics refuses to acknowledge they'll delivery in my area and want to charge over $50 for courier. The list just goes on and on.

I have my complaints about Grimco, but they are miles above other places in customer service.
You can get BubbleX from Polymershapes

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What is this BubbleX that you guys speak of? Is it bubble wrap or an alternative to coroplast? Checked out the site and literature and still not clear what it is.

It's really good stuff! S365 sells it and I love it for cheap interior signs. It's a good looking alternative to coroplast and stronger than PVC

phototec

Yep, for me in central TX, Grinmo offers FREE shipping on any orders over $100, which includes large sheets. Unlike Omniprint internal (maker of my Freejet 330TX Plus DTG printer who want to charge $63 to ship 2-gallons of pretreat. You have to consider shipping as a factor.

ikarasu

It's really good stuff! S365 sells it and I love it for cheap interior signs. It's a good looking alternative to coroplast and stronger than PVC
We get bubble X from laird... doesnt help you since they seem to be crappy in your area. I'm lucky enough to have them live 2 blocks from my house, so I can always run and pickup a few sheets of anything on the way into work, it's nice!

We love it too, Laird says not many people buy it - it hasnt found its place in sign shops yet. we pay $18 Canadian ($12.50 usd) A sheet... I use it for everything that doesn't need a flutes for a wire stake, its a minimal cost from coro.. but it's so smooth and rigid that everyone loves it compared to coro, lasts a lot longer too.

Christian @ 2CT Media

What is this BubbleX that you guys speak of? Is it bubble wrap or an alternative to coroplast? Checked out the site and literature and still not clear what it is.
It's 25x the strength of Coro, smoother, and a matte finish.all for roughly 20% more than coro. It's also not for use with stakes but is a great alternative to other more expensive materials on the durability and printability scale