• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Maybe real business advice

BigO

I would be cautious with the legal aspect. In Texas I don’t think you can use text messages as a a legal document. I had clients that only wanted $1500 of work, and I like to think they were impressed with my work and gave me additional jobs. $15,000 later they wanted to argue on the price. I updated the bid every time they requested an additional service, however a lot of it was verbal or text. If you do use text I would strongly recommend that you would follow up with an email summary. Every Friday I would send an email with a running bill. It got me out of a potential legal issue. My 2 pesos worth.

Stacey K

I like making signs
That's all fine and dandy. If your business model needs that, then by all means do it. I didn't say it was wrong, but I know for a fact through personal and many friends in all kindsa businesses, this happens and it is grossly abused. I got a call about 8:30, just Friday night, from a regular customer. When I asked him why he was calling for an update at this time, he said, Oh, sorry, I lost track what time it was. Did it bother me ?? Not really, but had I been doing something important on my own time, it would've. Had a call this morning about 5:30am. She wanted to know if I found her purse on the counter yesterday ?? Nope, we aren't open on Sundays. You weren't at our place. She yelled at me and hung up on me. Wha........?? my fault she's an imbecile ??

If you are desperate and wanna be on call 24/7 be my guest. Here's where old school is a much better idea, than being everyone's lacky.​
I totally agree. When I first started out I was desperate for business so I bent over backwards on the weekends and nights. It gets to be too much. You HAVE to separate business from your personal life sometimes. This is especially true if you have a family.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've had a few emergency sign repairs come in over the weekend and I clean up on them. But I can only count on one hand when that has happened.