• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MBIS-2 Mimaki's bulk ink system

MikeD

Has anyone used MBIS-2; Mimaki's bulk ink system?
Introduced in 2010, but I can only find 2 in the U.S.A.

I am interested in hearing what everyone thinks about bulk ink systems in general, but specifically Mimaki's.

The savings would be huge as we are running five JV33 printers 24hrs/day, but I don't want to create any issues. Hopefully I can learn from the experiences you all have had.

Thanks very much for the insight!

TheSnowman

I'm buying Triangle for $61 for a 440ML. I'm not sure how much you pay for bulk, but I didn't think I could hardly beat that price, and not having to do anything but plug in the new cartridges.

MikeD

I am hesitant to use 3rd party anything because of all the different types of technology we have- almost all of it with our own technical adjustments that allow us to print what we want. Doing that introduced different variables that can make diagnosing print defects difficult and time consuming, so I want to keep with the manufacturer's ink. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

I am wondering what other variables will be brought into the equation if we start using bulk inks. Is everyone happy with their bulk ink sys? Anyone have any advice for someone that's thinking of using Mimaki's bulk ink sys?

Thanks!

WestbankKurt

Mimaki ink

I work for a company that is tightening the belt every way possible so I'd like to hear some more about cheaper inks, please share what you know. I print on a JV3-160SP and a CJV30-160.
Thank you

MikeD

I should rephrase the question: does anyone have experience transitioning from cartridges to bulk ink?

ChicagoGraphics

I use to use oem Mimaki inks in my JV3-160sp then switched to 20/20 which by the way isint much of a savings, then I switched over to Durafos bulk inks in liter bottles BIG savings now plus the colors are brighter and doesn't scrach off at all as like the OEM and 20/20 inks did.

CS-SignSupply-TT

MBIS followup

I am hesitant to use 3rd party anything because of all the different types of technology we have- almost all of it with our own technical adjustments that allow us to print what we want. Doing that introduced different variables that can make diagnosing print defects difficult and time consuming, so I want to keep with the manufacturer's ink. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

I am wondering what other variables will be brought into the equation if we start using bulk inks. Is everyone happy with their bulk ink sys? Anyone have any advice for someone that's thinking of using Mimaki's bulk ink sys?

Thanks!

Here is a Mimaki UK dealer's website for the MBIS http://www.g-p-t.co.uk/solvent-printers-outdoor-print/mimaki-bulk-ink-system-mbis-detail_155.asp

ChicagoGraphics

WOW going with Mimaki's bulk ink setup you save only 18% accroding to that web site, go 3rd party and save at least 50% if not more.

MikeD

Has anyone here tried using a Bulk Ink System on multiple printers simultaneously? Could a manifold be placed in the lines that would split the supply to two JV33's?

Jack Knight1979

MikeD,

I have a friend that runs sublimation ink from one bulk system to two printers. He runs the printers at slower speeds. The tanks are not designed for two printers. The tanks can't supply enough pressure.

Also, bulk systems are temperamental, I couldn't imagine one set up for two printers.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We use Triangles Eco Bulk ink system on our JV33. Love it. It uses 2 liter ink bags and is the most economical system. Also like Mimaki's stock MBIS which is an ink bag system, all introduction of air into the ink train is eliminated as well is the potential for issues with open (tank style) bulk systems related to too much positive or negative pressue getting introduced into the ink system.

I believe Bordeaux also now has a sealed bag style bulk ink system as well. I would personally suggest with a proven long time well known brand as well. Either OEM Triangle, Bordeaux, etc.

As far as trying to split a bulk system among multiple machines I can see that working if you used permanent ink chips and had the bulk ink bag/box set on a stand between the machines. Then just split it to run to the sub-cartridges on each of the machines. The bag type would actually work fine since the big bags just feed sub (also called mid-cartrdiges) cartridges. The sub carts are similar to regular cartrdiges, they have an ink bag but also a nipple which gets fed from the big bags and they also have a physical empty flag which pops out to stop the machine if you were to let a bulk bag run totally out which the printer would then empty the 220ml sub cart till it was empty.

MikeD

It seems like the change would only be worth the effort if it involves 3rd party inks, at which point the savings would be substantial for us as we are running 5 jv33s' 24hrs/day. I've read equal amounts of threads detailing the pros and cons of 3rd party products and I feel like it would have a 50/50 chance at success.
Until now, I was unaware of the pressure factor... that makes it seem like I would be adding at least 1 more variable to trouble shoot when printer problems arise.
Ink is one of the least costly components of the business; I am thinking that if I wanted to save money, my efforts would be better spent looking for a better deal on substrates, or investing in more automation to get work done more efficiently.

Thanks for all of your insight- I've learned more since recently joining Signs101 than I have in many years!

I'm buying Triangle for $61 for a 440ML. I'm not sure how much you pay for bulk, but I didn't think I could hardly beat that price, and not having to do anything but plug in the new cartridges.
Snowman where are you? "I'm buying Triangle for $61 for a 440ML"
Eco sol? RXV?