• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MBX Electric Vinyl Zapper - Eraser Question

PrintQueen

Can anyone give me an idea of how long an eraser lasts on the zapper?

I'm going to be doing logo replacements on approx. 176 vehicles over the next few months, and I'm looking into getting a zapper to help with removal. I was planning on ordering a 3-pack of erasers, but I'm not sure if I should order more, or if they last a pretty long time?

Also happy to take any other suggestions for ease of removal. I'll be having a team of workers helping me from other areas of our shop, so I'm looking to make removal as smooth as I can for people of multiple experience levels o_O

Thanks!!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Post pictures of the decals and I could give you a better answer. I sue the same wheels that GB2 posted. I did 100+ oil field trucks a few years ago and used the wheels. It was a standard size logo on front doors and DOT#'s. I think we went though 10 wheels total.

For that many trucks, I would suggest using a face mask and eye protection, long-sleeve shirt and pants, getting a corded drill with a locking trigger and speed selection dial, some earmuffs and a small stool to sit on.

Also, be careful about them staining the truck.. I've had that happen before.

PrintQueen

Also, be careful about them staining the truck.. I've had that happen before.

are you talking about the wheels staining the truck, or the graphics?
I'll get some photos over as soon as I can catch a few. These are basically just a basic logo, probably about 12x18 or so.. 2-3 per vehicle. I'm going to look into those wheels that GB2 mentioned.

Thank you, I appreciate your input! I'm always learning!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
are you talking about the wheels staining the truck, or the graphics?
I'll get some photos over as soon as I can catch a few. These are basically just a basic logo, probably about 12x18 or so.. 2-3 per vehicle. I'm going to look into those wheels that GB2 mentioned.

Thank you, I appreciate your input! I'm always learning!

On some white pickup trucks they stained the paint under the graphics. I tried different brands of wheels and it didn't make a difference. Happened on Ford or Chevy, vehicle brand didn't matter. I couldn't get the stain off once it happened. I never was able to nail down a cause. Just wanted you to be aware.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's basically burning the paint. It generally has a reddish hue to it. The speed is basically too fast for the cheap paint jobs these vehicles get these days. I've rarely seen it on the zapper, but those other wheels go faster than the zapper.

letterman7

I've gone through a wheel a car if it's a reflective graphic on a police or fire vehicle. I would never think about using wheels on 176 vehicles. Hot water pressure washer... or start subbing to a local body shop. You'll save money in the long game.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a very good idea, providing they can muster up a place so you can do a bunch all at once. 12" x 18" isn't really all that bad, if you're gonna be doing them over the next few months, as mentioned.

Find out, if you can go there and they'll have maybe 20 or so to do at a time. Remember, you'll also hafta decorate them back up, so keep your time schedule in mind. Plan ahead, wa-a-ay ahead.

rjssigns

I'd also try steam or a steam pressure washer. Clients daughter removed graphics on a truck in a couple minutes with a steam pressure washer. She got the truck muddy and was trying to "help". Ooops.

signage

I'd also try steam or a steam pressure washer. Clients daughter removed graphics on a truck in a couple minutes with a steam pressure washer. She got the truck muddy and was trying to "help". Ooops.

I've been saying this for years, you just have to be careful move too slow and it will also remove the paint!