Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MBX Vinyl Zapper

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by jgolo, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jgolo

jgolo Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Does anyone use one of these? Because I just got one and it works great but, the working end had a yellow,orange colored eraser and it seems to leave that same color on the paint of a white truck I am doing. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I may be doing wrong - Also , do you think it would be ok on glass?

Thanks

Tags:
  2. MAB SIGNS

MAB SIGNS Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2003
    move it faster? Your holding it in one place too long. Same as if you're buffing a car, leave it in one place too long and it leaves swirl marks in the paint. I haven't tried one but this is what it sounds like.

3. uneedasign

uneedasign Active Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Palm Desert CA
    Sign Craft has an article in this months issue. I've been looking at it for a while, but I too would like to here from someone who has first hand experience before I purchase. I don't want a $450.00 buffer.

4. jgolo

jgolo Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Well - It does remove vinyl fast and I thought I was moving the wheel and not letting is stop as suggested- I will pay more attention and try again tomorrow - (only 4 more vehicles to go)

5. Sabre

Sabre Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Ours works great but I can't recall using it on white paint. We'll have to keep an eye out.

6. k.a.s.

k.a.s. Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2003
    NE ohio
    Mine is basicly a $450.00 dust collecter, it is very easy to get that yellow haze on white paint, try to move fast and don't push hard. I bought mine with the intention or using it to remove vinyl on a fleet of fiberglass box trucks, but I soon realized that by the time I got done I would have had yellow all over the box. In certain situations it works well, like on old vinyl that comes off in little pieces but a lot of times I can pull vinyl off with a razor and and heat gun just as fast as the vinyl zapper and I don't have to clean up the mess that the eraser leaves everywhere. Some people may think it works great, but I have been disappointed with mine.

Kevin

7. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    I have a fleet of 85 truck doors to do starting next week, so I just purchased one and an additional 5 wheels. I'm thinking I should have got 2.

Kas, you want to sell that "dust collector" ?

8. Git-R-Done

Git-R-Done Member

Mar 31, 2005
  9. SAS

SAS Active Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I pick up a auto body catalog at my local Napa auto parts it is printed every month. I have seen them in there for $279 I do not have a book laying around but I will post the name of the Co. in the next day or two. Napa sells the erasers for $16 I think fellers are around $25