Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDF Board Signs

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by MAB SIGNS, Dec 21, 2003.

1. MAB SIGNS

MAB SIGNS Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Pros n Cons? Whats the best primer and prep for this material?

Mark

Tags:
  2. Dale Horn

Dale Horn Member

Oct 30, 2003
    I'd suggest marine enamels - why? vinyl adheres to it better than latex

3. MAB SIGNS

Jun 29, 2003
    We don't use latex at all, we use Ronan or Chromatic bulletin colors and some one shot. We can spray, roll or fill paint. The primers the guys were using was still allowing a rough look to finish so now we've switched to blockout white from Chromatic thinking it has more pigment than the previous. I'll let you know how it goes once we finish some. Is there a name brand for marine enamels and is it available from many suppliers?

Thanks for the reply!

Mark

4. Dale Horn

Dale Horn Member

Oct 30, 2003
    There's lots of suppliers.

5. openwood

openwood Member

Nov 21, 2003
    MAB, I have been using Ronan primer for 13 years and i have tried others and I will never switch.I usually end up coating most peices twice.It works great on metal, wood and signfoam.

6. k.a.s.

k.a.s. Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2003
    NE ohio
    If your using Cromatic that is as good as anything, but we also use a lot of XIM and have had really good luck. You can buy XIM from Pioneer supply in Pit. PA

7. MAB SIGNS

Jun 29, 2003
    XIM is what I have used in the past for steel sign poles its a good product, I don't recall ever using it on wood though. We use fast dry blockout white from Chromatic now. The guys were using something else prior and it was not taking care of the fuzzy surface MDF has especially after routing so I asked them to switch to blockout, the pigment is heavier in this verses what they were using. I'm still against using MDF but its not my decision to make, I'm just concerned we'll have some come back because of water damage.

Mark

8. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

MDF is not good for outdoor uses.
    For paints, a good quality enamel primer and One Shot paints are best in my opinion. As a cheaper alternative you can also use One Shot's Graphic Coat line of bulletin colors.
    Ronan and Chromatic are good paints as well .. But i find One Shot paints cover best.

9. MAB SIGNS

Jun 29, 2003
    We have been using some MDF called Exterra which supposedly is for outdoor use but I'm still skeptical. One Shot is a great product! Thanks for the input!

Mark