• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MDO Finishing/Edging

acothran

We don't do much in the way of post and panel signs but are helping a client with a few for their parking lot. We have two-sided print/lam 3165RA on 1/2" MDO. The top of the sign is curved and I'm trying to find options for covering/finishing the exposed wood. I know we can paint it but I'm wondering if there is a type flexible cap? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Allen

Attachments

• Post and Panel.jpg
    Post and Panel.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 111

signmeup

There is a cap made for that. You squeeze out a bead of caulk around the edge and then push it on. I'd paint it as well.
That sign would have been better on 1/4" Alupanel.

christensen.g

Edgebanding

you can buy different prefinished edgebanding tape at a woodworking store or online. they come in all finishes including some colored & metalic finishes.

Mosh

1/2" edgecap will form on a curve if it is not too tight of radius. MDO I would fill the voids with puddy, sand and paint it. Edge-cap never seems to stay on for years and years, sooner or later it falls off it seems.

Pat Whatley

Edge banding will work but paint is better. We fill the grain and voids by mixing a little Durhams Water Putty and forcing it into the grain with a putty knife. Takes minutes and so far I've been really pleased with the results.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You kinda did this backwards.

You should prep the wood, fill it, seal it, sand it flat and then give it two or three costs of paint before applying your graphics. If you do this now, you'll probably interfere with the integrity of the vinyl holding at the edge.

Judging by the curve in your picture, most edge cappings won't stay put very long.