• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MDO unpainted

Colorburst

How durable is the unpainted surface of MDO sign board? Do I need to prime and paint the back of MDO signs to keep moisture out or is the MDO surface durable enough with out paint as a sealer?

OldPaint

MDO, without paint will last as long as if painted. ask any concrete company that makes forms with it. they oil the forms/boards as they install em. my question is: WHY would you not paint it, if you are making a SIGN? it really is an ugly brown color if left unpainted. as for the back, again, why would you NOT WANT TO PAINT it?
unless its going up against a wall and you wont see the back.

Jillbeans

I think it's like leaving a sponge out in the rain.
Paint it.
When I do use MDO I get prepainted then I even paint it again.
Love....Jill

iSign

I get pre-primed & I've left backs with only that primer if it's against a wall & even sometimes exposed... and I've had signs doing fine 6 to 10 years later

letterman7

There's a company around here that actually "wraps" their primed MDO with vinyl... I can't tell you how many I've been asked to fix because it's peeling after 6 months. I always paint even primed MDO and seal the edges. Why wouldn't you?

Baz

I use allot of MDO. I hate the pre-painted or pre-primed boards. I prefer painting myself. I always do a coat of latex on the backsides just to keep them looking their best for years to come.