• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

me EDGE dedicated computer is dead RIP

gabagoo

This morning it seems the old clunker I use to run my edge software is dead. I was wondering could I run the edge off of my laptop although I have Omega 1.5...curious about a couple things. Will it work on XP? and I am pretty sure it runs through a paralel port. I am not sure, but I don't think I have a paralel port on this laptop. How do ypu run the edge off newer equipment? Any help will be appreciated.

signpro

Manager
i'm pretty sure you can get an adapter, and then need a program installed for that adapter. i had to do this with my new computer, and my computer guy figured it out for me. call a computer shop, not best buys' geek squad... i'm sure a real computer shop can point you in the right direction for that adapter.

signage

Gabagoo what dongle do you have USB or Parallel?
If its a USB try it might work, or as posted above should work.

Also is you Edge an Edge II or legacy?
If its an Edge II you will need a USB to Paralle sold through Gerber to run the EdgeII!

gabagoo

Edge LE and yes I have the usb dongle. So there is an adapter that changes paralel to usb? I will look for one as I have a feeling it is the motherboard of that old computer. It has been running weird for a month or so.

BRUSHMARKS

you should be fine on xp. also go to a radio shack and get a usb - parrel port adapter. i had to ge one for my new dell all that had is usb ports on the back.

gabagoo

I have loaded the software but it asks questions like what lpt the edge needs and which com port the cutter uses? How do you do that with usb's? The program opens but when I try to access files across my local network it hangs and shuts down with some kind of 32 bit error. Maybe I should just get that old computer repaired?

signage

Does the laptop have a serial port to connect the cutter to? If you have the USB to Parallel adapter I should show you what LPT port it has assigned! Like I said earlier I'm not sure if 1.5x will run on XP or not, but one poster said he has it working and another said it won't! Good Luck! What you may want to try is to right click on the program in the star menue and select properties and look for run under option!

gabagoo

I think Marlene has said enough. Thanks Marlene. I will take the old clunker (win 2000 ) and get it repaired.

I appreciate the responses...thank you all

:)

Replicator

Not to bag on Marlene's opinion, but I have found that if you install anything on Vista in XP compatibility mode

and then make sure to run the program in XP compatibility mode they work just fine.

I have a Vista machine running QuickBooks 2005 . . . They said it couldn't be done, but it works fine in XP compatibility mode.

Try it, you've got nothing to lose but the cost of a serial to usb adapter from radio shack.

Good Luck !

gabagoo

my laptop is xp, but the program keeps hanging, do you think if I right click on the shortcut and change the compatibility that would help?

signage

You don't click on the short cut you right click on the launch in the start up list! I would think it would be worth a try don't you think?