• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Me? Signs? No really, but.....

BAC

Hello! My name is Ben, & I'm from Ohio. I don't do signs per-se, but I think I can still learn a lot from the fine folks here. What DO I do? That's a good question. For years, I have done logo design for businesses, web design, custom photo art, ie: marketing & promo art for race teams, bands, etc. I've been told I have a knack for it, so I'm thinking of starting a business. :ROFLMAO: I know, I know, I don't know what I'm doing. I'll be the first to admit that. But, I've received artwork from from people that have been unhappy with the work of "professionals", & I have made them happy. Am I the best? No. Am I starting a Fortune 500 company? Probably not. At this point, I do everything in high res. raster, with pretty good results. (insert laugh here) I've done it for free, or close to free for a long time. Why not branch out? I have contacts. So, I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling in a "professional" manner. Albeit small at first,... but maybe something great will happen. I can already tell this site is filled with talent & know-how, even if it doesn't apply to me directly. But, I'll be a sponge.

BAC

sar bossier

Bonjour from Louisiana! Good luck in your new venture ... KEEP the humor, but remember to NEVER burn bridges. You might need them someday :wink:

ucmj22

Welcome, congrats and good luck! Get acquainted with vector or I have a sneaking suspicion you wont make it long.

BAC

Just because I can, here are a few examples of things I've done. Don't laugh too loudly, I'm listening. lol
Band logo,.. I was IN the band so,.. free of course. This particular file lost resolution. I can't find the original.
stsaddress.jpg
A sample page of a CD Released in Nashville which I designed.
cggwV23final.jpg
Samples of promo stuff I've done for the guy I currently play for,..
spur.jpg dalepromo.jpg dvlogo2012.jpg
Any critiques or opinions are welcome.
Have a great day!

BAC

Last edited by a moderator:

BAC

Thanks all.

Sar Bossier - I agree. I try to work WITH people, not against them, in hopes that what is in my mind pays off.

usmj22-I think about my ineptitude with vector ever stinking day. I know it can / may be a huge downfall. But I'm seem to have done well with raster so far, & I haven't "needed" Vector yet. So,..... I will continue to learn it, but until i KNOW it,... Raster it is. :-/

GoodPeopleFlags

I would suggest finding someone who knows the sign biz and hiring them. There is so much more to this biz than design. Some of us are offended when someone with no knowledge or experience in sign making decides to open a biz doing it. Know your limitations and pay someone to do the things you don't know how to do and learn from them. Otherwise, the first time you post a "How do I make a sign?" type of question, you're probably not going to like the responses. Good luck!

BAC

Oops, I missed the bit about posting pics. I've done it that way so may times I didn't even think about it to be honest.

Attachments

• spur.jpg
    spur.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 94
  • dvlogo2012.jpg
    dvlogo2012.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 133
  • dalepromo.jpg
    dalepromo.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 116

BAC

I would suggest finding someone who knows the sign biz and hiring them. There is so much more to this biz than design. Some of us are offended when someone with no knowledge or experience in sign making decides to open a biz doing it. Know your limitations and pay someone to do the things you don't know how to do and learn from them. Otherwise, the first time you post a "How do I make a sign?" type of question, you're probably not going to like the responses. Good luck!
I understand that totally BlueFish. That's why I stated, I don't really make "Signs" like the rest of you do. But I believe all of you can be very educational. Also, I admit wholeheartedly that I don't know it all. I'm just here to soak up information. If that labels me a jackass,... so be it.

BAC

Believe me, I mean NO disrespect to anyone here. I know you have worked very hard for what you have. But for me,..."someone with no knowledge or experience".... how DO I gain that?

I'd like to think I could pick up bits of knowledge here & there to help me along. It's as obvious to me as anyone else that I can't do this overnight. But, in my area, "pay someone to do the things you don't know how to do and learn from them." isn't always a viable option, as those "hands-on" type of experiences are few & far between.

Also, for ME personally, I use the term "business" VERY loosely. ;-)

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Well, the entire design world, whether signage or print, is pretty much vector-based. But that's not to say that raster artwork does not play an important part.

But you are going to have to learn vector generation of artwork. There is no way around it.

You can start with Inkscape.

BAC

Well, the entire design world, whether signage or print, is pretty much vector-based. But that's not to say that raster artwork does not play an important part.

But you are going to have to learn vector generation of artwork. There is no way around it.

You can start with Inkscape.

Outstanding. Thank you oldgoatroper.

CentralSigns

Hello! My name is Ben, & I'm from Ohio. I don't do signs per-se, but I think I can still learn a lot from the fine folks here. I've done it for free, or close to free for a long time. Why not branch out? I have contacts. So, I'm looking forward to getting the ball rolling in a "professional" manner. I'll be a sponge.

BAC

Will your contacts still work with you if you no longer do it for free. To start a business means to make something for your time. Hope you did your research? Good luck with it, it's not a easy task to start a business.

BAC

Will your contacts still work with you if you no longer do it for free. To start a business means to make something for your time. Hope you did your research? Good luck with it, it's not a easy task to start a business.
That's an excellent point to bring up CentralSigns. So far, my contacts are friends as well as business owners. Others have asked them where they got it done at etc. leading to a referral to me. While their work may have been for free, the "new" work will not be of course. I figure the free stuff is more like a business card leading me to paying jobs. It HAS worked so far, on a small scale. So, I figure maybe now is the time to either "Sh*t or get off the pot" so to speak.

WildWestDesigns

Other then gearing towards vector work (although I'm more of a Xara Xtreme fan myself as far as free open source goes, but it's Linux based), I would also suggest that you learn what can or can't be done with the logos that you create for people. To me, logos should be done with the common end production products (screen print, maybe DTG, maybe sublimation, embroidery, cut vinyl, maybe CNC wood work etc). One logo that provides a consistent look and feel across a lot of different mediums. Not always possible, but at least try to hit the bigger ones (in my opinion).