• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Me? Signs? No really, but.....

skyhigh

Attachments

• B&D.jpg
    B&D.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 49

Jillbeans

I would start by buying Corel X5 (that's what I design with) also buy a few good books on layout and design. You need to learn a bit more about various typography and not just stick with grunge or country looking styles. Learn the classics as well. Fads come and go, and while it's good to have a finger on the pulse of current trends, you can never ignore the beauty of past styles. (most of them)
Amazon
Layout
Logos
Strong's
Cecil Wade
Atkinson
Becker
These are just a few links. I would get better at layout and design, then sell my services to other sign people who are not as adept. And NEVER work for free. Ever.
Love....Jill

Marlene

it looks like you would be really good at print ads, show cards, webpages and such rather than signs. you seem to have a style and I like it that your work is black & white.

GoodPeopleFlags

Why can't you bring someone to the table that knows the sign biz? Seems like the logical thing to do. Otherwise you're going to expect people to pay you to make signs when you don't know how to do it. For example, just because someone can draw doesn't mean I would pay them to put a tattoo on me when they've never done it before. There's more to it than design and software. You have to know the different materials available and when to use them, how to lay vinyl, how to answer people's questions and so much more. An online message board isn't the place to learn all the stuff you need to know to open a sign business. I'm not saying you shouldn't start your biz; just trying to give you advice so you'll have a better chance of succeeding.

Here's an example. What if I go to a forum for professional graphic designers and posted this: "I've been in the sign biz 20 years but now I want to focus solely on graphic design and start my own graphic design business. I've never worked for a design company so maybe you guys can help me learn along the way the business end of it." I think I would get slammed and laughed at. Neither of which I want to do to you. I want to encourage you to get knowledge and experience before jumping into something you don't know much about.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Welcome from OK

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good points, you get laughed off the site of any forum you post a "I don't know anything about this, can someone teach me" sort of topic. Sadly, anyone with a $300 chinese plotter off ebay or a cricut are in the business now. to each their own.