• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Media bucking causing headstrike with dark color

fine point

Printing with Epson S40 on MacTac matte media

50" x 50" image of heavy ink (Dark Green), buckling the media and causing head strikes.

Any tips for preventing the buckling? Adjusting the heat set-ups? Drying time?

We lower the passes but still buckling.

Also the similar issue.
150" long of Dark Green and Light Yellow print. Top half is dark green and bottom is yellow, the shrinkage rate(?) is different between two colors and causing head strikes also.

Any tips will be much appreciated.

FP

unclebun

I wonder if you have the heat high enough to dry the ink. We run our S70 at 40/40/50 and have never encountered buckling on dark colors. I also wonder about your profile. Sounds like the ink limit is set too high.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Upping the heat will help the ink dry faster which should help with the buckling but heating up the vinyl also causes buckling so it's kind of a catch-22. Turning the vacuum up 100% should help suck the buckling parts down. As stated above, it might just be the ink limits are too high and the vinyl just can't handle the load.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When this happens, is your ink making puddles on the vinyl ??

Sounds like you're dumping far too much ink down for whatever reason. Are you using the correct profiles for the appropriate media ??