• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

media compensation on a mimaki

gabagoo

I have a Mimaki jv3 -130. I need to know how to adjust the media compensation without having to print the 2 grey bars. I don't find those very helpful and prefer to use a simple rectangle to test the print. Also How does one adjust it in the middle of a print. I am running a full roll of Saturn banner today and am finding that everything is overlapping way to much. I am assuming it is due to the weight of the roll but who knows. Every day seems tobring on some new learning experience.

gabagoo

I'm going to blow a gasket today I feel it. I get the media compensation so that it prints nicely with little overlaps and within 12" of printing the graphic I can see it has gone right back to creating these overlaps. WTF is causing this? It has to be the size of the roll effecting it. I can't figure out what to do.

MobileImpact

you must START with the two Grey lines. When you run it they should NOT overlap at all. The should be truly butted up to each other. Any other adjustments you make will be way out of whack unless you have a good starting point.

gabagoo

Yes I have done that but the print is still overlapping. I sometimes wonder why I bother at all.

TheSnowman

Yeah me too...I feel like it's gonna take me 4 more years to learn this printer. You'd think after a year and a half, I'd feel more confident about it. What are these gray bars? I must need to know what they do.

CL Graphics

I usually run media comp when I load a new roll then adjust the feed comp if it needs it. You will also need to adjust the feed comp again after you attach the print to the takeup reel.

gabagoo

can you expalin how to run the feed comp? I saw that today when hitting funtion while in remote. it said -20 yet I was set for 0 on media comp, are they related? How do you change that number at that point without toasting the graphic?

MobileImpact

yes, they are related. The media comp is your starting point. The feed comp is nothing more than a media comp on the "fly", or while you are running. While you are printing if you notice overlap in your passes, hit the function key, and go to feed comp. you can adjust this up or down depending on whats happening. I usually only move 20 in either direction, 20 or-20, wait a few passes, if it moved then fine tune it. A plus move gives you more space between the passes, a negative move takes away space from the passes.

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
Just remember that if you set it on the fly,that is an over ride setting and it will stay there. If you do a media comp first time you make another print that same setting will be in effect.

Letterbox Mike

for the record, you CAN NOT do a media compensation adjustment without a printer's loupe (little magnifying glass you place directly on the print). if you try to eyeball it it will not come out right, you have to be able to see the individual dots being placed and adjust them almost microscopic amounts at a time.

If you're just getting too much overlap between passes obviously your feed calibration is too low. For Ultraflex 13oz banner material we set it to +80, for 18oz Herculite we set it to +100. Normal vinyls will hover around the -10 to +10 area, for banners you need really need to crank it waaaay up.

iSign

If the banner is that heavy OR when banner material is sometimes just "sticky" enough to offer a little resistance (and noise) when peeling off the roll (but not actually "sticky"), I think you should unroll just enough material to not hit the floor, and keep helping it out by unrolling material in advance of requiring the machine to pull it. Or pull out the entire length and roll it back up if it's sticking to itself on the roll. I wouldn't think any banner roll is too heavy, but I have had banners that are sticking enough to cause me to "help"

signsnow, what's "postershop"? is that your rip? Is that Gabagoo's rip?
I use Flexi, and several controls can be set to priority of the machines control pad, or the software. In my case all media comp settings are done on the machine only.

GB2

Old Member
All good advice so far...my procedure is to originally set the media comp to 0 then only use the feed comp to adjust for banding whenever necessary. Inspect the print when it starts and adjust the feed comp up or down by about 20-30, as described earlier. I find that I don't make many changes once I have an optimal setting for my machine. Also the numbers that work on one machine will not work on another machine necessarily, banding adjustments are a machine specific adjustment. Any number of factors will influence the feed of the material, weather, humidity, temperature, size of media, weight of media roll, vacuum setting on printer, or many other things. I also sometimes unwind a little of the media roll to relieve some tension on the feed, I think it may be more vacuum setting and humidity on wider materials though than the weight of the roll that matters.

gabagoo

OK I have some time now so I will explain how this started this morning. I loaded this super heavy Saturn Banner and set the machine up to run a test print to see how it was feeding. It was overlapping a ton, so I looked at my notes which I jot down on premask and keep just above the control panel. It said the last time I ran Saturn I had media comp at 0. I was -30 so I took it down to zero. Here's the thing with the two grey bar test. First off the print nearer to the centre of the machine when using that has always been different from the print close to the control panel where it breaks the bars so you can take a close look. Why it is like this I have no idea but thats the way it came and I have accepted it. I use a spare bomb site from my edge machine and take a close look to see how the pixels line up. Thats how I determine if to add or subtract. Now in this case it looked good at 0 so off I go and start printing only after I test printed a couple of rectangles in red. They looked good so off I go. The banner started off great and I went about to do other things. Took a look at about 18" in and that horrible banding was back just as bad as it was when I first started. I thought maybe the machine had somehow jumped back to he original settings in mid print and killed the job. I continued to play around and eventually just put up with it. They were not noticeable from a couple feet away. I am printing spot colours and they are hard to get perfect.

Letterbox Mike

Sprt colors are going to show that worse that photographic images for sure. Sounds like the issue may be the weight or tension of the material as it comes off of the roll throwing off the feed calibration, it happens.

When you're doing the calibration with the two gray bars, the only place you look is where the bars meet and the one is offset to the left an inch or so. you really only need to look at two dots, one from the bottom row and one from the top row, at the very right end of the top bar where it stops. Adjust until you can't see a difference in gap between the two dots, i.e. their space matches the dot spacing from other dots in the bar. I'd probably have to draw a picture to really explain it properly, but the length and size of those bars is misleading, makes you think you have to do something with the entire things, when really you only use a very tiny part of them for the adjustment. You also might want to consider a true printers loupe, a bomb site from a gerber plotter probably doesn't have enough magnification to really see what you're doing, you need to see those dots really close up.

If I were you, once it starts in with the banding 18" into the print or whatever, start adjusting the compensation, but -30 or 0 isn't going to be enough for heavy banner. Go up, way up, you'll start to see a huge difference.

ColesCreations

When you print your tests- is the material rolled up tight in the back? If it's loose, it will print great untill it's tight, then you'll have overlaps.

And- someone higher up was mentioning banner material sticking to itself. Have you checked on that?

The JV3 has a weight limit on the roll. If the roll is too heavy, the machine will not be able to consistently pull the right amount off of it. Remember that the machine actually has to "accelerate" the roll every time it makes a pass, so the heavier it is, the less it will pull.

I got a new roll, it was twice as heavy as allowed, so I put it on a rack and rolled half of it over to an empty roll, and- damned material was sticking bigtime- it only took me about 5 minutes to roll it over, and it printed great afterwards.

The rack has room for 6 rolls, one over the other, put the big roll high up, and roll down, by hand, as long as the empty roll is the correct length, it's easy to keep it straight, with one hand on each end.

And- you mention feed comp around 0, heavy banner should be 80+, at least on ours, with vinyl around 20 and roll-ups around 0 or less.

As for the remote calibration, remember to put it back to 0 before starting in local, so you know which value works.:thumb: