• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Media Detect

Gregory

Have a Mimaki CJV30-130. I have loaded 38" vinyl, using four pinch rollers, but the machine says the material is 28.46". I have read the manuals and they don't address this concern. When I do a media cut, it doesn't cut all the way across, leaving approx 6" uncut on the left. Any ideas?

gabagoo

I have found sometimes my Mimaki has trouble reading the media size...usually this happens if you do not pull enough through before locking it down and hitting the "Roll" command. Some materials generally give the eye problems so I have this little led blue flashlight that I use and when the sensor is reading the vinyl I shine it in on an angle and the eye always seems to see the edge.

MikeD

I do not have experience with that particular model, but on the JV33, the media width sensor sticks out from under the carriage and left of the head (if your facing the printer.) I have had head strikes that change the position or angle of the sensor resulting in a bad reading. Take a look under the carriage and make sure the sensor is pointing straight down.
Two plastic tabs hold it in place, and they break easily...I have one unit with a media width sensor held in place with tape.
Hopefully that's all that's wrong with your printer, as the part is cheap, or can usually be fixed with tape.
Good Luck!

MikeD

also, gabagoo has a good point as well. if your working with exotic material, there may be some weird reflection causing problems. A light will work. However, when processing an entire roll of jobs, you can print a filter on clear material and temporarily affix it under the eye to compensate for the reflection.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
most media load errors are by how many pinch wheels you have set up= how many you are telling the machine you are using..

121a

^
That is what has happened to me in the past. The first and the last roller (#4 in your case) MUST be at the end of the vinyl. If you can't arrange the rollers this way, then you can manually enter the width of the media in Rasterlink (please note, i have only used this function to cut material, not print it).

MixMaker

Wouldn't by chance have your RIP set to "Manual Input" instead of "Auto Detect" for the Media Size would you?