Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media for stencilled decal

Discussion in 'Labels and Decals' started by Anastasi55, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    I started reading this thread because I thought it was a question about stencils. I get asked about them from time to time... I hoped there was some insight regarding what substrate people make them from. Now I see that it's a question about decals. :confused:

So, does anyone out there make re-usable stencils and what substrate would you plot them from?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    We get them routed out of styrene

3. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I hand cut some for use in the shop out of magnetic sheet and put styrene around it as a spray shield. It's easier to position when the whole thing isn't magnetic.

4. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Re: OP's post, a small image like that on a back window can by made with a cheap cut vinyl. When making the cut lines for it, try not to go too small or too complex or it won't weed nicely. My first tiny letters weren't so long ago; I wish someone had told me then to drop the heat on the Roland before cutting, it would've made life easier. And sometimes we round the corners on the cut lines just slightly, so the plotter flies over them extra smooth. Not necessary, but an option.

Re: Stencils, we did a few stencils from styrene, or if they're a one-time decal, just low tac vinyl (ie, someone wanted numbers painted on their shuffleboard space).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    How do you make a basic vinyl decals and apply them with no trasfer tape? I assume you have experience making "stickers" and not decals, correct?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Val47

Val47 Boudica@Nite

Mar 2, 2020
    Spokane, WA
    I think Stacy is correct. I think maybe the op is new to the contour cut scene. He's done "decals" that are adhesive vinyl, (squares and rectangles) but not detailed enough for actual plotting? Hey OP - once you get this down, try the perf (flexy) cut scene - it's a tough one. The sellers of the plotters will make it look seamless. Not true. Case in point - a $7,000 investment that doesn't do all it claims (Roland GR ). I hope you find help. good luck.

7. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    https://www.kapco.com/cms/bd807d4158006edf/index.html this stuff works great!

8. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Cool, thanks!

9. RaymondLoewy

RaymondLoewy Pretty fly for a Sign Guy

Robertson screws, be careful of how you use that term - it may upset a site sponsor.

10. RaymondLoewy

RaymondLoewy Pretty fly for a Sign Guy

Depends on how long you are going to want to use them and the material you will be painting of spraying on them. If you are talking about street paint you need .060 LDPE ant the minimum.