• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Media for subsurface acrylic application

MIKE MCNAMARA

Any suggestions for clear media good for reverse printing and applying subsurface to acrylic, as well as the appropriate white backing layer? We have used a variety over the years, but with so many new films I am looking for options. Does anyone use polyester instead of vinyl?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We've used 3651 clear backed w/ 651 white for hundreds, if not thousands of panels and have never had an issue.

You would think being more economical/calendared films they wouldn't work that great but they do. Only time we ran into an issue was with glass plaques mounted almost horizontally in Florida - even a cast/cast 3M combo couldn't hold up to that abuse.

bigben

We've used 3651 clear backed w/ 651 white for hundreds, if not thousands of panels and have never had an issue.

You would think being more economical/calendared films they wouldn't work that great but they do. Only time we ran into an issue was with glass plaques mounted almost horizontally in Florida - even a cast/cast 3M combo couldn't hold up to that abuse.
You don't have a ''fuzzy'' look with reverse print on 3651? I use optically clear film for that kind of application.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
You don't have a ''fuzzy'' look with reverse print on 3651? I use optically clear film for that kind of application.

No we haven't found to have a fuzzy look with 3651 clear. You do get a bit of "orange peel" effect on clear areas if you're not backing the whole thing with white vinyl/ink though.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We've been using substance laminate and backing it with substance print vinyl. Works good and you don't have to keep a roll of clear around that doesn't get used much.

mpn

I'm interested in finding a pvc free film (polyester) in clear and white like the OP.