Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media problems

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by emma, May 14, 2009.

1. emma

emma Guest

Is anyone else having problems finding media that will fit the 1204?
    We cannot get our hands on any 48" or 50" media.
    I cannot use anything smaller. I cannot afford the time it takes to slit and ship from Oracal. I really like the 3165RA that Oracal makes but it seems they are out. Does anyone cut/slit there own vinyl. I cannot find anything that will work for me that is a 48" / 50" roll. Please help!

Tags:
  2. luggnut

luggnut Very Active Member

i have a falcon that only takes 48" material i use a chop saw to cut it down from 54". only way i can get 3165ra without some kind of wait on a special order

3. emma

emma Guest

Are the cuts pretty clean using the chop saw?
    What type of blade are you using?

4. emma

emma Guest

Are there any others out there that are slicing/cutting their rolls down to size.
    For instance a 54" down to a 50" roll.

5. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    like using a chainsaw to cut your turkey. Gonna be messy!!!

6. mcgrawdesigns

mcgrawdesigns Member

Mar 18, 2007
    mid-missouri
    Absolutely, I cut down every roll of media I get. First thing I do after taking the roll out of the box is roll back the clear plastic bag on the media about 6-8 inches and seal up the edge with masking tape so none of the debris from cutting will get on the rest of the roll. I then mark a cut line all the way around the roll with a stabilo and cut it with a circular saw with a fine tooth blade. Works real good. I always cut the end of the media that will sit on the opposite end of the lever, just so the media has a consistent edge to start with next to the print head (not jagged in case your cuts with the circular saw are not perfect). Hope this helps.

7. randya

randya Very Active Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Arizona
    Signwarehouse has plenty of 48" media, GMI does as well.