Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media recommendations for wall graphics

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by ElJay, Mar 22, 2013.

1. ElJay

ElJay Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    My shop does a lot of large indoor wall graphics. Looking for a decent print media that I don't have to laminate and won't fall off the wall in a week/month/year. The vinyl we've used in the past (3M, Oracal) doesn't want to stick to painted drywall, or much of anything else apparently...Anyone?

Tags:
  2. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    phototex is what we use and love

3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I did a job with phototex and loved it. The wall should be painted with flat I believe.

4. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Adhesive fabric is a good option, it's expensive but works great for those apps.

5. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Ultraflexx has one that's pretty good also

6. LarryB

LarryB Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Webster, Texas
    Phototex works great.

7. Esdale

Esdale Member

Jul 7, 2011
  8. Mike F

Mike F Active Member

May 11, 2011
    +1 for PhotoTex, magnificent stuff.

9. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Phototex is great stuff but it's $$$

we've had great luck with Avery 2611

10. ElJay

ElJay Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    We've experimented with wallpapers but because we almost always work in dirty, cramped construction environments, laying out sheets flat and adding paste to them is unrealistic. Also, the areas we work with most often are quite large (20 feet wide by 15 feet tall and larger) so a self-adhesive rolled material is really our only option. We've been using a printable fabric that is satisfactory, but even with following the manufacturer's recommendations we're having durability issues...it scratches/scuffs easily especially in areas of heavy ink coverage. I've set my ink limits, selected proper ink profiles, and cranked my heaters up on all my printers but solvent ink just doesn't seem to cure properly on the fabric and doesn't respond well to rough handling.

11. encadtech

encadtech Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Higganum CT
    Having good results with Mactac Roodle - cut contour right to the edge - stays flat no problem - printing with a Roland XC-540

12. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    all 3m IJ35c attached.
    0 lifting. 0 issues. Easy install. All drywall.
    if you cant get it to work on drywall, you're doing something wrong.

Attached Files:

13. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Killer looking, great work man!

14. ElJay

ElJay Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Outside of not cleaning the surface well enough or not allowing the paint adequate dry time, what could we be doing wrong?

I agree, BTW. great work.

15. JBarraxSW

JBarraxSW Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Texas
    Nice work. :)
    We offer a polyester fabric called PrismJet 234 WallTex that's similar to PhotoTex, but it adheres better on slightly textured surfaces. We have 4' x 4' wall graphics in our training room that have been up for a couple of years now. No lifting.
    http://www.signwarehouse.com/c-printer-inks-media-M-W-PJ-WALL.html

16. KaranGrewal

KaranGrewal Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Edmonton, Alberta
    + 1 , wht type of laminate you use with IJ 35c ?

17. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Lol wait till you get a nasty message from Walter for using his brand name in your post.

18. Northern Design

Northern Design Northern Design Graphics

Jan 1, 2009
    seattle
    caution on using Avery 2611, try a test printed test piece first, lots of shrinkage

19. DIGITAL DESIGNS

DIGITAL DESIGNS Member

Nov 18, 2012
    KING WILLIAM VA
    I just did a wall in my sons room and have used Optima (believe it is an advantage sign supply house brand) and has done well.

20. TDFcustomSL

TDFcustomSL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Kansas
    :goodpost:I have seen it and it does look good and seems to stick around the edges great, we pulled most of it off and it stuck right back down, even around the edges. I would love to play around with some of this but cant justify buying a roll to play with just yet. All the wall graphics ive done they wanted CHEAP so i used the cheap oracal, they didnt care if it took the paint off, its going to be up for many many years anyway.

Attached Files: