• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Media Set Problem on ValueJet 1624???

kirkbedtelyon

For some reason I'm unable to set the media properly on my new VJ 1624. (guessing this is the problem)

After 10' to 25' of printing the "End of Roll" sensor shuts down my print job. The vinyl seems to be feeding unevenly and is buckeling up on one side or the other (infeed side) and triping the EOR sensor.

The media mounts seem to be a little loose. Even after I crank down the clamp they still wiggle. Perhaps the problem??

Anyone else experience this? Suggestions?

Anyone know what the little locks are for on each media holder? For tension setting?? I can't find it anywhere in the manuals.

Frustrated...

Kirk

laserman70

had the same problem.
Tech walked us through a way of setting the sensor so it quit doing this.
It is seeing the writing on the back paper and thinks its out.
Call your tech he will walk you through it.

Also make sure that the media is tight and even.

randya

Yes, the little locks are for tension.
They should both be engaged.
Loosen up the screws and push the lock slot into one of the tabs on the tension device.

FatCat

I've had this happen once or twice on my 1204 - simply put a piece of white vinyl over the sensor. *Only thing is you have to be careful when approaching end of rolls as it will think there is material in there when there is not and keep printing.

kirkbedtelyon

I've had this happen once or twice on my 1204 - simply put a piece of white vinyl over the sensor. *Only thing is you have to be careful when approaching end of rolls as it will think there is material in there when there is not and keep printing.

Yes, I've done this before in special situations where a graphic tripped the sensor...I think this is more an issue of getting the media set (and held set) properly.

kirkbedtelyon

where are these locks located?
you lost me lol

On each of the media holders there is a tension lock. Each is held up with two philips head screws. When loosened these slide down and cause tension on the media...Nothing was mentioned in the users manual about these suckers...

kirkbedtelyon

Yes, the little locks are for tension.
They should both be engaged.
Loosen up the screws and push the lock slot into one of the tabs on the tension device.

Thanks Randy...A little extra tension should definately help the set up process since you pretty much have to make love to the machine to be able to reach the infeed roller AND pull the vinyl through at the same time. Should they be left in place for printing as well??

Come to think about it...I didn't have a problem for the first 60' of a full (60" wide) 150' roll. Perhaps the extra weight of the roll supplied the additional tension needed.? Hmmmm

randya

Yes, leave them engaged.

Seems to really depend on the tension that the media has to begin with.
But it seems to help across the board for more consistant feed.

kirkbedtelyon

This is driving me nuts. The media holders actually angle in from the weight of the vinyl roll (60" x 150'). The old 1204 held the media better than this. I've GOT to find a way to add another screw to each side to better hold the media. Impossible to keep the vinyl tracking correctly.

Boss Wraps

Mutoh 1624 take up issue?

Yes I am experiencing the same issue.

Have been going back and forth with with the techs from fellers and mutoh trying to figure it out. The tensioning plates are engaged. The take up reel is aligned vertically to the printer. I am using a wider core the the vinyl I am printing on. Oh and I am loading the take up reel properly. After a tech finally came out and agreed with me that I was. He did a slight adjustment on the motor side to pull it away from the stand but am still bunching up on the carriage side.
I think that the pre drilled holes in the stand for the take up system possibly were miss drilled.....

Has anyone gotten any further with this?

Boss Wraps

Actually had a tech come out the other day and do all the alignment tests. I ran some also before he came and couldnt find anything myself. Personally I think the take up reel shouldnt be locked in place on the stand with no forward or back adjustments to be made.
Mutoh is sending a tech out either today or Monday. I will let update this with what he comes up with.

signs+banners

We are working on this same issue with a customer in MN. Keep me posted on any fix. Sounds like the exact same issue. If I find the answer first I will post it here right away!

kirkbedtelyon

Problem solved. For me this turned out to be a heat issue NOT an alignment issue. I had to set the infeed and platen heaters lower than I did with my old VJ 1204.

New settings: Preheater 37, Platen Heater 44, Post Heater 50

My theory why this works: The pressure rollers on the 1624 have larger spaces between the rollers than did my 1204. This larger space is much less forgiving when the vinyl is excessively heated and allows the vinyl to bunch.

All I can say is this worked for me.

KevSign

We are experience same issue with media feeds. Yes, It very suck some time end of the print and the print head hit into the media and we had to re-print (3x10'). We had to release media while print and keep watch machine all the time. We was return the SID Triton buy this Jap Mutoh and thought this better but same crap. I was call Multoh tech they are talk too mean seem they PI$$ about this.

I THINK WE ALL NEED LAWYER LEMON THIS MACHINE. We all had common problem.

THIS V1624 LAST MUTOH BRAND FOR US AT LONG STILL IN BUSINESS.

HP LATEX ALL THE WAY! L28 COMING SOON.

KevSign

Yeah! Finally this Mutoh 1624 out the shop on Tuesday July 24th.. I trade-in straight this with Roland Pro2 1045 104". Also purchased HP L28500 early June 2012 with $10M rebate. No more Mutoh Brand EVER!

Sorry for all other Mutoh owner 1624 media feed problem.