• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Media Storage Ideas

TeamOutlaw

Hey all~
We are currently in the process of remodeling some office space to accommodate a newer / larger printer...

Anyone care to share ideas for media storage in their print rooms!? Currently I use the black plastic core "plug plates" that come in the ends of the cardboard boxes the film is shipped in and stand the media upright along the edge of the room on the floor. But, it never fails...I bump one & they all fall like dominoes.

We also have a 16 place rolling floor rack, but the media in the middle of the rack is difficult to access (especially new/heavy rolls). So, were thinking maybe some ideas for wall mounted / horizontal storage ideas. Thanks in advance.

niksagkram

For our 54" rolls of vinyl and laminate, we built some "rifle rack" style storage units. We "hang" the rolls with a 1" diameter dowel through the core of the vinyl. Works great for us.

TeamOutlaw

For our 54" rolls of vinyl and laminate, we built some "rifle rack" style storage units. We "hang" the rolls with a 1" diameter dowel through the core of the vinyl. Works great for us.
This is actually what I had envisioned (rifle rack style)...you happen to have any pics you'd share so i can see how you did it!? Do you find the 54" rolls to be "tricky" to get on/off the dowel when loading / unloading to the printer? That was one concern I had...how do you left the roll off the wall, and remove the dowel without laying the roll down and risking contamination on the floor? Or, do you just set the media on one end and slide the dowel out the top? Problem with that for me would be a lack of ceiling height (need at least 10' to do that with 54" film).

Thanks guys...exactly what I was hoping for...anymore ideas would be great!

shoresigns

Currently I use the black plastic core "plug plates" that come in the ends of the cardboard boxes the film is shipped in and stand the media upright along the edge of the room on the floor. But, it never fails...I bump one & they all fall like dominoes.

We also have a 16 place rolling floor rack, but the media in the middle of the rack is difficult to access (especially new/heavy rolls). So, were thinking maybe some ideas for wall mounted / horizontal storage ideas. Thanks in advance.

Horizontal storage can be difficult and awkward as well, especially with full rolls. I find vertical storage much easier. Just put some screws in the corners of the black plastic core holders and attach them all in a row to a piece of plywood. No more dominoes!

Also, with horizontal storage on materials that you use less often, the weight of a heavy roll will cause a line to form along the top from the pressure. Then later on, when you get to the end of that roll you'll start to notice a faint line across the media every foot or so. It doesn't happen on every material but I've seen it several times when we used to have horizontal storage.

TeamOutlaw

Also, with horizontal storage on materials that you use less often, the weight of a heavy roll will cause a line to form along the top from the pressure. Then later on, when you get to the end of that roll you'll start to notice a faint line across the media every foot or so. It doesn't happen on every material but I've seen it several times when we used to have horizontal storage.
We've seen this "pressure line" on some of our banner stock towards the end of the roll. We usually end up throwing the last 10' away because of it. I didn't realize that films would have the same issues...

niksagkram

This is actually what I had envisioned (rifle rack style)...you happen to have any pics you'd share so i can see how you did it!? Do you find the 54" rolls to be "tricky" to get on/off the dowel when loading / unloading to the printer? That was one concern I had...how do you left the roll off the wall, and remove the dowel without laying the roll down and risking contamination on the floor? Or, do you just set the media on one end and slide the dowel out the top? Problem with that for me would be a lack of ceiling height (need at least 10' to do that with 54" film).

Thanks guys...exactly what I was hoping for...anymore ideas would be great!

Here are some quick pics for you...

As for taking the rolls down, we just lift them off and slide the dowel out. If the roll is almost full, and a little heavier, we set the end on the floor, and lift the dowel out.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 175
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 200
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 194

phototec

The best rack for horizontal storage I have seen does not use rods, it uses the 3" media core for support so it does not leave marks from hanging on a rod, it uses a movable bracket that pivots out of the way to load or remove the roll from the rack.

Attachments

• photo%201.jpg
    photo%201.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Vinyl rack 1.jpg
    Vinyl rack 1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Vinyl rack 2.jpg
    Vinyl rack 2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Vinyl rack 3.jpg
    Vinyl rack 3.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 126
  • Vinyl rack 4.jpg
    Vinyl rack 4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 138

niksagkram

The best rack for horizontal storage I have seen does not use rods, it uses the 3" media core for support so it does not leave marks from hanging on a rod, it uses a movable bracket that pivots out of the way to load or remove the roll from the rack.

Nice rack. :) The system we use does not leave marks on the vinyl/laminate. The rod goes through the core to hang it on the rack.

Mark