• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Media width not read correctly

mikeinpdx

I have an SJ-740, and it's reading the media width as 58.3 inches for 54" media. This had been intermittent for a while, now it seems to be consistent.

I've removed and cleaned the encoder strip - it was slightly dirty, but no major scratches on it were visible and it looks fine after cleaning. I've done the limit initialization process a few times, that used to fix the issue but no longer. I've also cleaned the reflective strip, no difference there either.

It looks like the head is stopping at the edge of the media correctly, so I'm assuming it's an encoder issue somehow. It is consistent, it always reads the same width.

Any other steps to try before a service call?

Schraubfix

On the head carriage board you can see a small regulator, rotate it a little bit clockwise with a screwdriver.
So you increase the sensitivity of the paperside sensor, hope, it is helpfull.
Regards
Roland

mikeinpdx

Thanks, I will check it out. I did finally narrow it down to a section on the reflective strip by putting different widths of media and seeing the width measured correctly until it was over 50". The strip looked totally clean, but I wiped it down with the cleaning solution, instead of just alcohol, and the problem went away. However, I am going to take a look at that adjustment, because it must be right on the edge of not being sensitive enough.

mikeinpdx

Don't clean your encoder strip with the solvent cleaning solution!

It was the reflective strip ( runs beneath the print head), not the encoder strip, but thanks for the warning! I just use a swab with a little alcohol for the encoder.

El Barto

On the head carriage board you can see a small regulator, rotate it a little bit clockwise with a screwdriver.
So you increase the sensitivity of the paperside sensor, hope, it is helpfull.
Regards
Roland

IIRC, you can check that pot's voltage in service mode. If you do go turning it a little goes a very long way, so you'll need to have that available for reference. A little too high or low will give you pretty wild readings and I think you've got a narrow window.

I have the same printer, and I gave up on getting proper material width years ago. I set it manually in the software since the printer always reads wider than it actually is.

Bly

Our Roland only ever measures the width correctly for about ten minutes after an annual service.