• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Media wont load straight for contour cut

I need help! We printed some pretty large media and when trying to load it on to the plotter, the media won't load straight enough to read the registration marks at the other end... any suggestions?

ironchef

Slow the speed in which the cutter reads the reg marks, also slow down the actual cutting speed. And line up the reg. Marks not the vinyl. Make sure the outer pinch rollers are evenly placed on the media

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Ironchef has it.
With a Graphtec I use my thumbnail to feel the edge of the cross cutting groove through the print and line the two crop marks up to it.

wayne k
guam usa

Andy D

Ironchef has it.
With a Graphtec I use my thumbnail to feel the edge of the cross cutting groove through the print and line the two crop marks up to it.

wayne k
guam usa

That's what I used to do, but I just learned an awesome trick that works much better...
I put a 60" straight edge / ruler on the material, line up the outside edge with the reg marks & then snug the inside edge to
the pinch wheels before I lower them. It lines up the material up perfectly.

Thank you for all the help! I will let you all know how it goes, Im new to this forum and its been very useful already.. Thank you!!

ikarasu

That's what I used to do, but I just learned an awesome trick that works much better...
I put a 60" straight edge / ruler on the material, line up the outside edge with the reg marks & then snug the inside edge to
the pinch wheels before I lower them. It lines up the material up perfectly.

interesting, I can see that being useful! The ruler would help hold the material down, and prevent it from moving also.

It doesnt always happen.. Usually only on reverse wound up rolls and heavy material, when I align the marks up and slowly inch my way to the middle to free up a hand to close the clamp, it always tugs and slightly moves. After doing it thousands of times I've perfected it... but I've always thought it'd be a much better design to be able to clamp it with a foot press or something. The ruler would have been helpful my first week, when i tried for hours to get it to align properly and couldn't!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I've also found that if the material starts to "walk" or skew I just adjust accordingly and start again no matter how well the reg marks are aligned. We try to keep our runs to no longer than 12ft.

rjssigns

My method is to make sure the lead edge is perfectly square to the sides. That way all I need to do is line up the lead edge with the groove on the platen.

bannertime

I keep it down to 10ft panels. Accidentally just did one that was 18ft. You slide the whole graphic in till about half way through. Line up the material edge on the plotter's squared up lines and you're good to go. Even on that panel I was less than .125in off end to end.

IsItFasst

Not sure how old your machine is but if it has a lot of hours on it replace the rollers. I could never get my machine to cut accurately if it was a long run or had a lot of cuts even on a small sheet. Replaced the wheels and now this thing we do long runs without getting off track. The old wheels looked fine but that solve my problem. And I always pull the media tight before putting the clamps down to make sure it is square with the roll.

ironchef

How did it go Amanda? You got it to work? And yea everytime I cut something longer then 10 ft on my cjv30 I pray. Lol I want to eventually buy a graphtec fc8000 or summa plotter. Leaning more towards the graphtec.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How did it go Amanda? You got it to work? And yea everytime I cut something longer then 10 ft on my cjv30 I pray. Lol I want to eventually buy a graphtec fc8000 or summa plotter. Leaning more towards the graphtec.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QU

Well, we never got it to line up straight so instead of wasting the whole project my husband had a bright idea to make his own registration marks with a black sharpie, and it worked! we lost out on about 6 prints but it was better than losing out on 50!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity, how wide and long was this media from crop mark to crop mark ??