• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help MEK Paste?

ShawnE

Does anyone know how to make MEK paste?
Been using regular MEK out of a can, but it is too viscous. Bonding sheets of polystyrene with it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Billct2

You could try adding some polystyrene "powder" to the liquid MEK to thicken it up. In a pinch I've used the dust created by cutting material on a table saw to thicken glues.

ShawnE

You could try adding some polystyrene "powder" to the liquid MEK to thicken it up. In a pinch I've used the dust created by cutting material on a table saw to thicken glues.
Are you talking about polystyrene or pvc shavings?

Billct2

Whatever material you are gluing, you are gluing polystyrene so I would use that. It's like adding fiberglass flakes to fiberglass resin to thicken it up.

ShawnE

Whatever material you are gluing, you are gluing polystyrene so I would use that. It's like adding fiberglass flakes to fiberglass resin to thicken it up.
Ok. That's good info. thank you.
Do you happen to know if they sell it premade?

Billct2

Sorry, no. I know they sell something like that for MEK and ABS plastics, but not sure about polystyrene.