• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Memory Sticks?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I have one that is 512mb, but I don't use it for backup. As with any backup, if you want to be safe, you should have a backup of your backup. Every media fails at one time or another.

Also keep in mind they are easy to lose or leave in your pants and run the risk of going in the wash.

Don't keep any vital info on there.

WVB

There are some pretty fast memory sticks now. SanDisk keeps making them better. For instance you can get a 4gb memory stick duo pro now...... I remember when IBM had the microdisk 4gb in compact flash form. There is a 8gb memory stick duo pro on its way - Price? The 4gb can be had for around $125.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I should add that you can get a 250mb or so external hard drive (usb/firewire) for $100 or less. They are much more reliable and better cost per mb

I have a 250 mb one and backup my files nightly to this and also burn cds/dvds for really old stuff. 2 copies - CD's are also cheap insurance

Last edited:

Marlene

Thanks for the info as I'm totally clueless when it comes to stuff like this. I'm getting a new 'puter and it was suggested to me to make sure that I can back up with a stick instead of my usual CD's and figured if they really suck, some one here would tell me.

WVB

I don't think either way you go will suck. I like memory sticks only because of size. They are so small and easy to carry anywhere you go. Plus you can use them in any mp3 player, digital camera etc.... The down fall is price and speed. You can purchase a hd 2x/3x the size of a memory stick for around the same price. You pay for convenience.......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have two that we switch back and forth between everyday for our accounting program. Then we do a full backup to a disc at the end of the week. The most we could ever lose is a days worth.